Hose sizes

• SebRain77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • When in doubt, gas it!
More
22 Apr 2008 17:31 #208311 by SebRain77
Hose sizes was created by SebRain77
I've been looking around and can't find the information I'm looking for.

1977 KZ650C1

What's the inside diameter of the fuel line from the petcock to the carb assembly?

Now for the overflows, what kind and size hose do I need? will a fuel line do?

And same question for the vacuum lines: size and kind.

If I read correctly, the overflow hoses must route the fuel away from a hot engine in the event of an overflow, so the hoses should be routed towards the rear of the bike. Isn't this wrong? Is the fuel not going to spit out in font of the back tire? Maybe someone has a picture I can base myself on.

And as for the vent lines, I guess they should be routed up, somewhere under the seat I assume, since I don't have the original airbox?

Any advice is good advice!

While I have your attention, I'm still looking for that seat lock (Kawasaki Part Number 27016-5010)!:)

Ever hit the pavement? I did, put that gear on!

1977 KZ 650C1 - First bike, ever! For sale - or not!?!?
2004 Z750 - More power than I'll ever need...
Gatineau, Qc, Canada eh!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2008 18:15 #208317 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Hose sizes
I was buying wiper blades for the van at Canadian Tire a few weeks back and right next to them I saw the very thing for overflow hose - windsheild washer fluid line. Black, oil resistant and came in little plastic boxes. Various internal diameters. I picked the smallest internal diameter which I think was 5/32 inches and it works like a charm.

Dont know if this will work for you but check it out.

For fuel line I suspect you should have 1/4 inch ID but best wait for someone with a 650 to chime in.

The overflow is probably like mine - a smaller ID.

Good luck.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
22 Apr 2008 20:07 #208334 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Hose sizes
The fuel line is metric, 7mm I think. But I found that 5/16" I.D. works great.

What your saying about the overflow lines makes all the sense in the world but where else are you gonna route them to? :) In the 28 years I've owned my bike it's only dribbled out those lines twice and both were at idle before a ride.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
22 Apr 2008 20:58 #208344 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Hose sizes
Bluemeanie wrote:

The fuel line is metric, 7mm I think. But I found that 5/16" I.D. works great.

What your saying about the overflow lines makes all the sense in the world but where else are you gonna route them to? :) In the 28 years I've owned my bike it's only dribbled out those lines twice and both were at idle before a ride.

ditto...5/16" clear with a clamp on each end. Some say clear is best to view fuel flow if needed, but I prefer to use clear blue cuz I think it looks coolB)
The overflow tubes get threaded thru a rubber loop that is located on the right side close to the swingarm. It holds them all together and keeps them from floppin' in the breeze:) But I have also seen them just lopped over the swingarm as well. The vent lines can be routed thru the same loop as well. Don't route them upward as foreign crap can get in them and make their way down to the carbs.
Maybe others have more ideas for you if you don't have that loop.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
22 Apr 2008 21:54 #208357 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Hose sizes
Correct me if I'm wrong,but it seems to me that if you have TWO lines feeding the carbs,then the I'D. is 1/4 inch,and if you have ONE line,it's 5/16.

This is what I've found,dealing with MY bike,anyways.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 Apr 2008 06:05 #208407 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Hose sizes
Sandy wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong,but it seems to me that if you have TWO lines feeding the carbs,then the I'D. is 1/4 inch,and if you have ONE line,it's 5/16.

This is what I've found,dealing with MY bike,anyways.

Sandy, I've heard of you big block guys using some kind of a "T" or something? The 1000's have dual inlets? All the 650's just have the one line. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
23 Apr 2008 07:02 - 04 Dec 2008 06:06 #208417 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 06:06 by JMKZHI.

More
23 Apr 2008 07:51 #208437 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Hose sizes
The 650 uses 5.8mm ID hose which 1/4" is closer than 5/16. Some KZ1000 use 6.5mm, some 7.5mm. so 5/16" is closer match to the larger hose. Either will work. Remember to use only fuel rated hose for fuel. Vacuum hose is OK for overflows. I got the grey Tygon hose a few years ago and was pretty dissapointed in it's aging qualitys. All places I used it, the line got hard and brittle at the attachment points to actually start leaking fuel whithin 2 yrs. Also it tends to kink instead of bending in a nice arc. Last hose I got was black, came in 50 ft length and was very close to original looking at 1/4" on a KZ650. I got it at bikebandit, don't remember the brand, but they had a selection of thin wall fuel line. This seems a lot better hose. Of course these are just my opinions.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Apr 2008 08:16 #208448 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Hose sizes
Bluemeanie wrote:
[quote
Sandy, I've heard of you big block guys using some kind of a "T" or something? The 1000's have dual inlets? All the 650's just have the one line. :)[/quote]

Well when I was running the stock carbs,John(26's)there were two 1/4" lines feeding the carbs(factory dual outlet petcock),but then I switched to the 29's,which only had one inlet(5/16 size).I didn't want to mess around with adapting the petcock outlets to one,and a different size to boot,so for more reasons than one,I purchased a Pingel "High-Flow" petcock,which is a single 5/16" outlet.
It feeds the needs beautifully!:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1