bogging after rebuild

More
22 Apr 2008 05:17 #208161 by rdgrnr
bogging after rebuild was created by rdgrnr
I am having some bogging at quick-throttle after I rebuilt my 24's. It dies unless I release the throttle.
The synopsis is as follows:
No problems prior to rebuild, but since I was bringing the 77 back to life, I felt a good cleaning with a rebuild was in order. I installed the kits from K&L with 15 pilots, 102.5 mains, and needles set at 2nd from bottom. The needle and seats were replaced as well. To be honest, I forgot to write down what I did the float height at (inverted dry method). I also bench-syched them using the drill bit method. The air screws were initially set at 1 1/2 and I adjusted them running for the best idle at about 1000 rpm, which were all less than 1/8th turn. Slow acceleration seems to be good with smooth running at 5000. I'm using B7ES plugs, and have done the wg mod. There are no other mods that have been done. Fuel flow seems to be good as the petcock was cleaned as well. The air boots are new with a new K&N filter in the box.
Should I have used the bigger pilots that were supplied in the kits, or is this a float height issue as I have yet to do the wet method?
Feels like too much air before the fuel catches up to the demand. The intakes were replaced with good used ones prior to the rebuild, and throttle response was good at that time. I have not done the valve adjustment.
Any advice?
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2008 06:22 #208171 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bogging after rebuild
The setting of float levels as you did it is a waste of time. The floats have been bent up a zillion times over the past 30 years. I consistently recommend using the service fuel level method.

The "bench sync" you did was counter productive. The purpose of a bench sync is to get the slides roughly at the same level which your technique did but more important, to set the slide heights in the middle of the adjustment range of the idle adjust screw which you CAN NOT do using the too-large drill bits. I have explained how to bench sync many times in the past so won't attempt to do this once again here unless you can't find the correct technique from past posts.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Apr 2008 04:09 #208389 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic bogging after rebuild
So, understanding what you said about wet service on the levels, and bench synching, am I jetted correctly? Or would I benefit more going to the 17.5 pilots?
Thanks

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
23 Apr 2008 07:01 #208416 by vach
Replied by vach on topic bogging after rebuild
Hey Dave, I thought that the needles are supposed to be set in the 3rd position.. mine are actually on the 4th but they came that way and the bike runs good. maybe your running out of gas with the quick throttle response.. Wait until someone else chimes in to be sure though. Did you move them or were they always in that spot..

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
23 Apr 2008 07:41 #208432 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bogging after rebuild
The jetting is fine. You need to ensure that the adjustments I suggested are done as I suggested and that you have the pilot circuits cleaned/clear and pilot air/fuel mixture adjusted properly.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Apr 2008 10:20 - 23 Apr 2008 10:23 #208469 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic bogging after rebuild
rdgrnr wrote:

I am having some bogging at quick-throttle after I rebuilt my 24's. It dies unless I release the throttle.

From what I read, that is the classic symptom of low fuel level in the bowls. In fact, on the tune up procedure I read, the way to verify fuel level is optimum is to hold it in second gear at about 2K RPM and roll the throttle on hard. It should pull hard without stumbling. If not, raise the level 1/2 mm. repeat until right.

YMMV

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 23 Apr 2008 10:23 by bountyhunter.

More
23 Apr 2008 20:25 #208603 by rdgrnr
wiredgeorge wrote:

The jetting is fine. You need to ensure that the adjustments I suggested are done as I suggested and that you have the pilot circuits cleaned/clear and pilot air/fuel mixture adjusted properly.

Ok,wg, will do and thanks.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

More
23 Apr 2008 20:32 #208607 by rdgrnr
bountyhunter wrote:

[/quote] From what I read, that is the classic symptom of low fuel level in the bowls. In fact, on the tune up procedure I read, the way to verify fuel level is optimum is to hold it in second gear at about 2K RPM and roll the throttle on hard. It should pull hard without stumbling. If not, raise the level 1/2 mm. repeat until right.

I am suspecting a combination of improper sych, and fuel levels being off...will be rigging up a wet check tube hopefully if I have time this weekend.

Kevin,
The needle was set there when I took them apart, and I think I read the re-assembley info to put it there as stock. I'll have to look again to be sure.

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN