bike dies when i shut off choke??

More
21 Apr 2008 18:53 #208083 by kustompup93
bike dies when i shut off choke?? was created by kustompup93
i have an 81 kz550c with those TK carbs on it, just rebuilt them and not when i start it up with the choke fully on it runs fine, but when i shut the choke off the bike starts 2 bogg down and die instantly?? anyone now on wats up with it?? do i have 2 turn up the idle on it??? need help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2008 00:46 #208137 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
You do let the engine warm up properly? Give it a minute or two t warm up before shutting off the choke. There´s also possibility to shut it little by little. This is needed when bike starts to rev up after starting. I try to keep revs around 2-3k when warming up.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
22 Apr 2008 06:30 #208174 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
If the bike is indeed warm and won't run off choke, this is a sure sign that the pilot circuit is clogged or the pilot jets are in need of replacement (you can't clean them very well).

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Apr 2008 12:23 #208266 by kustompup93
Replied by kustompup93 on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
i let the bike warm up enough with the choke fully on and when i turn it off it starts 2 bogg down and die. is it suxin in 2 much air threw my filters? i have those emgo ones from Z1 would that be it??

More
23 Apr 2008 00:41 #208374 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
Warm up enough? Ride the bike and then it´s warm/hot. Mine won´t idle too well untill it´s completely warm. You cannot adjust idle or make any judgements untill the engine and carbs are completely warm/hot. These are old bikes so if ya compare with some friends newer bikes they do operate differently. My bro has a ´07 ZX-10R and cold starting that one is piece of cake compared to my ´83 ELR.

My point is: give it time, don´t rush it. If you shut down choke when engine barely starts to idle then it ain´t warm yet. It´s warm when revs go up and then you slowly/gradually shut off choke till it´s completely warm.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
23 Apr 2008 07:57 #208440 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
I found that when I, and others, have rebuilt carbs, the thought is that "this means that they will be free of all contaminants". No offense, I re-built mine twice in a row. I thought that I had it clean enough, but I didn't.

I used a coffee can and carb cleaner like I did on my dirt bikes as a kid. But when I got it together again the first time, it was still clogged up. I guess it depends on the method and tools you have at your disposal.

I wonder if there is still clogging issues with your pilot system as wiredgeorge suggested.

What did you do to clean out your carbs while rebuilding them?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
23 Apr 2008 12:28 #208491 by kustompup93
Replied by kustompup93 on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
i used a bunch of carb cleaner, blew everything out with air compresser( gently though) and put them back 2gether with new rebuild kits. could it be that its suxin in 2 much air from my emgo air filter? and i know these style bikes are different from my buddys bikes they all operate differently. wat could it be??

• leakyseal
  • User
  • KZ pilot for life.
More
23 Apr 2008 15:57 #208526 by leakyseal
Replied by leakyseal on topic bike dies when i shut off choke??
like others here,i'm guessing clogged pilot jet or jets.take your carbs off.[even a rookie can do this-easy on vintage bikes],Remove float bowls,take out pilot jets and clean'em.get some good injector cleaner/gumout whatever to rid the jets/carbs of varnish.reinstall.When winter rolls around,empty your tank and drain float bowls so this won't happen again.
later buddy