Won't return to idle between shifts

More
25 Apr 2008 05:48 #208935 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Won't return to idle between shifts
If the CV34 assembly has been disassembled in the past, there is a good chance it wasn't reassembled properly and the idle will hang. These carbs are a bit tricky to work on... they choke butterflies tend to hang as they must be removed for disassembly.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2008 10:16 - 25 Apr 2008 10:21 #209013 by jafilson
Replied by jafilson on topic Won't return to idle between shifts
wiredgeorge wrote:

If the CV34 assembly has been disassembled in the past, there is a good chance it wasn't reassembled properly and the idle will hang. These carbs are a bit tricky to work on... they choke butterflies tend to hang as they must be removed for disassembly.

I had the carbs off and had them apart, but not completely like you are thinking. The choke plates were all fine, nothing seemed to hang up at all..at this point I think I need to come up with a set of sync guages and take a look at that. It isn't real bad and it runs great around the block. Can you use a set of like, 0-20 vacuum guages to check carb sync? I wouldn't think that it would pull more than 20 at 1500 rpm or so. I read about the homemade sync tool here on the board,but I don't quite understand that and how to build it,I mean as far as filling the tube with a 50/50 mix of oil and kerosene. What if you end up with different amounts between each side...I don't really like the sound of that. Maybe I am misreading something on that?

1981 KZ650H1 MFG 1/81 9966 Miles
Keihin vacuum piston carbs. 4 in 1 exhaust.
Pekin, IL
Last edit: 25 Apr 2008 10:21 by jafilson.

More
26 Apr 2008 08:19 #209212 by jafilson
I built a vacuum sync tool yesterday in the tube and ATF fluid style. I am going to hook it up to the bike this weekend and see what it looks like. I'll be back on here after that,to let ya know what I find!

Pekin, IL

More
27 Apr 2008 16:22 #209595 by jafilson
Built and used the carb sync tool and it worked great!
they were definitely not in sync!
Although it still doesn't idle down quick enough..
One thing I noticed, I tried to adjust the idle mixture screws and there was no change whatsoever, I think I may have to take the carbs back off and clear the idle circuits.
when I soaked them, I didn't even know they were in there.
Getting to be a pro at the carbs now! already had them off twice, Third time is a charm!

Pekin, IL

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
27 Apr 2008 17:23 #209607 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Won't return to idle between shifts
jafilson wrote:

...One thing I noticed, I tried to adjust the idle mixture screws and there was no change whatsoever...

It's been said already in this thread, but your slow-idle-return symptom is the result of a lean condition.

Now, the thing you mentioned (quoted above) is a symptom of the floats not being adjusted correctly.

So, I'd say your floats are adjusted too lean...

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
27 Apr 2008 19:29 #209648 by jafilson
Floats? Hmm...Interesting! I dry set them at(i think) 7/8" whatever the book said
I figured that would work fine, One thing I have always noticed about floats is that the settings they want are always putting the floats level when following the settings

I will look into this more when I get a chance. Thanks man!

Pekin, IL