Petcock Filter

More
19 Apr 2008 16:25 #207675 by 650ed
Petcock Filter was created by 650ed
Does anyone know where to buy replacement petcock filters (the ones that go inside the tank)? I have found the ones for Yamaha XS650 bikes, but they are smaller diameter. Someone still makes them as I see them shown on aftermarket petcocks for KZ's, but I can't find the filters without the petcock. The filter I'm looking for is 5/16" inside diameter. Maybe WG would know a source? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2008 18:48 #208323 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Petcock Filter
???

More
22 Apr 2008 20:35 #208340 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Petcock Filter
I've not seen these available as a separate stand alone item, and believe many of our older bikes are running without the delicate little screen filter(s) attached to the petcock intake tubes located up inside the fuel tank.

Many manual petcocks also incorporate another separate removeable screen filter and sediment bowl arrangement on the petcock which is supposed to be routinely cleaned.

The screen filters built into the petcocks are better than nothing, but should be supplemented with a good accessory in-line fuel filter. Actually, the in-line filter could do just fine alone and without any pre-screening by the petcock. But imo the more screening and filtering the better.

So I would recommend cleaning whatever screens may still exixt in the petcock, and installing a good fresh accessory in-line filter. And not worry anymore about a missing (and perhaps unavailable) petcock screen. The removable round screens which fit above the sediment bowl may still be separately available (perhaps as part of a petcock repair kit).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Apr 2008 07:43 #208433 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Petcock Filter
I was having lots of trouble with getting enough fuel to my carbs athigher R's on the free-way. I was trying different in-line filter and larger inner-diameter fuel lines, but was still having fuel flow problems.

The owner at the local bike salvage yard has been great help. I was going to replace my petcock "just because" and he found me a Suzuki vacume petcock that matched the tank orafice and bolt holes of the Kawasaki near perfectly. The screen on the new petcock itself is about three inches tall, about an inch wide and 5/16's deep. The cross section completely fills the aperature on the tank, and thusly maximizes the surface area possible without cutting a new hole in the tank, and it is three inches tall. The petcock's filter seems to be working well for me.

I have been runnung without an in-line fuel filter now for almost a year, and have recently painted my tank (cleaning out and stirring up all the junk in it) and have still had no adverse changes or problems with my carbs.

I would agree that in-line filters are an excellent idea. My bike with it's flow problems did not allow me to use one however. If this petcock I found might help you with your filtration issues, I would be happy to take a pic. If you would like.

Best of luck with the fix.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
23 Apr 2008 08:55 #208457 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Petcock Filter
I have a honda 500 that i replaced the gas tank on. The petcock screen was ripped and soft and tore it more trying to get it in, so i left it out and used an inline filter. However, from that moment on, if i dont shut the gas off it will leak out of the carb that the bike is leaning on. I have a feeling its supposed to control the flow, and not having that filter allows TOO much gas to flow.
However, i have seen them on bikebandit.com.
$28 for that little screen. Ill be shutting my gas off..

More
23 Apr 2008 16:23 #208534 by FastKaw1
Replied by FastKaw1 on topic Petcock Filter
650ed
Try this it worked for me.
Go to your local auto parts store + ask to see some
fuel pump filters. The ones that go in the tank.
There are about 20 diffident type, find the smallest one
cut it off to the length you like and wire it to the petcock
tubes. Don't laugh it works

XENU

More
25 Apr 2008 21:46 #209151 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Petcock Filter
650ed, is this what your looking for?

fuel strainer, 77-79 KZ650 B&C

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
26 Apr 2008 06:44 #209203 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Petcock Filter
Bluemeanie, actually the one I'm looking for looks similar to these (unfortunately, these are smaller diameter because they're for a XS650 Yamaha):

[img size=150][/img]

Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2008 17:33 #209610 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Petcock Filter
Bluemeanie wrote:

650ed, is this what your looking for?

fuel strainer, 77-79 KZ650 B&C

Nice label, filter looks used...

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN