Removing carbs

More
17 Apr 2008 18:34 #207257 by Bermshot
Removing carbs was created by Bermshot
I have a buddies 78 KZ 1000 and can't get the carbs out. I don't see how to move the airbox back any. I have losend the clamps front and rear of the carbs and discconected the cables, pried the carbs back and up but cannot get them to the left or right. I can't rotate them to any way that doesn't hit the boots or frame.
What's the Idiots guide say?

His rear brake M/C is locked solid,too. Any rebuild kits available or any member have a decent setup for sale?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2008 18:48 #207262 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Removing carbs
You hafta push the boots from the air box to carbs back into the airbox.not an easy job if they are old and hard.but this will let the carbs go back far enough to slide out of the rubbers then you should be able to take them out either side

More
17 Apr 2008 19:47 #207276 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Removing carbs
This has been discussed (and CUSSED) for years. It depends how hardened the rubber boots between the airbox and carbs are to how difficult carb removal will be. When new the boots are very soft. In this case you can just loosen all the clamps, pull the carbs backwards compressing the boots till the front of the carbs are out of the intake manifold rubbers, then pull the carbs straight up and they will slide up off the intake boots, then pull the carbs out whichever side you choose. If the boots are a little hard, this still works, but the hardened boots will usually press back into the airbox. If the boots are hard as a rock, you have no real choice but to cut or otherwise beat the crap out of them, then buy new ones, because even if you get the carbs off you'll never get them back on. So somewhere between these extremes there is a way to get them off. Remember getting them off is 10 times easier than getting them back on, so if they are hard to get off, you're in for a tremendous time reinstalling :P

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
17 Apr 2008 20:14 #207285 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Removing carbs
I have never tried this but have been told it works wonders with old boots. I personally love the pods. Makes carb cleaning sooo much easier. I busted my knuckles trying to take that stupid airbox off. What a PITA that was. Three times or more on different bikes.
Getting back to old boots. I heard if you boil them in water that it makes them soft again. I don't know if that really works but it is worth a try unless you like spending your hard earned money on new boots when you could be better off buying the pods.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
17 Apr 2008 22:21 #207312 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Removing carbs
I have never seen a stock air box, and have therefore never experienced any of these problems. Consider the pods.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
18 Apr 2008 03:49 #207326 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Removing carbs
The last only stock air box i had i sold to a guy doing a Resto.and replaced it with K&Ns. We were Both happy.

More
18 Apr 2008 06:49 #207345 by Bermshot
Replied by Bermshot on topic Removing carbs
Thanks for the replies, I was getting worried about my lack of skills. The airbox boots seem to have some movement so I will try to push them back in when it's warmer in the day or get the heat gun out. I assume they are just glued to the airbox and can be resealed if I take them out all they way. Are they accessable from inside the airbox with fat American fingers?

More
18 Apr 2008 07:20 #207352 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Removing carbs
Yep, just plan on getting your knuckles scraped up a bit. The boots are just a compression fit, not glue. A lot of people recommend buying new ones, but if you're cheap (like me)I just soak them in almost boiling water for about 10 seconds and that gets them soft enough to put them back on (if your fast enough)

More
18 Apr 2008 07:30 #207355 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Removing carbs
I'd rather spend 4 hours putting on carbs with a stock airbox than use pods. Been through that. They do make carb removal easy though.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.