HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas

More
17 Apr 2008 11:02 #207157 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
Unfortunately, you do have to remove the carburetors from the bike to check the check valve. You pull them off, then drain the gas by holding them upside down... the gas will pour out the vent fittings. Then you set them on a bench and remove the small brass nut that is on the end of the accelerator pump rod... Make sure the little washer and spring don't jump off and get lost. Put the nut on the end of the shaft while you work on the carbs. Then remove the 16 socket head screws and lift ALL four bowls off as a unit as they are strung together with gas hoses. Turn the bowls over and look at the #2 bowl edge where bowl gasket contacts. The bowl gasket will stay on the carb bowl chamber edge most likely. Anyway, look at the bowl edge and note there is a hole on the edge. There should be a check valve in the hole. A check valve consists of a small bb type piece which is chromed, a small brass barrel and a small wire cee clip that sits in a small indentation above the BB and brass piece. If this stuff is missing, gas will FLLLLLLLOW if the petcock is on and flood the bowl. The retaining cee clip is very easy to lose.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2008 11:13 #207162 by hammerheads06
Replied by hammerheads06 on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
talked to my buddy he confirmed that you did the work and are a great resource for the kaws, so thanx im actually trying to do the "blow hose" method right now

\'79 KZ650-B1,custom LED brake light and turn signals, coil power mod, cool army paint job with plenty more to come. Located in Johnson City, Tn

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2008 12:01 #207169 by hammerheads06
do you happen to have a pic of a check valve, i think its missing but don't know if im looking in the right place.....as you might have noticed i hesitatly had to take off the carbs, quick fixes didnt work

\'79 KZ650-B1,custom LED brake light and turn signals, coil power mod, cool army paint job with plenty more to come. Located in Johnson City, Tn

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Apr 2008 06:46 #207344 by hammerheads06
so I pulled the carbs, alot of sediment build up, cleaned them up put them back on and voila', no more leakage. Thanx for all the help guys, I appreciate it very much

More
18 Apr 2008 07:17 #207349 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
Good stuff! Now remember, filter, filter, filter... ;)

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
18 Apr 2008 17:59 #207465 by JR
Replied by JR on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
bill. I just noticed you took the cover off. Hope that snow is all gone :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Apr 2008 18:09 #207467 by hammerheads06
so now its not leaking, but it's not running right either. Before i took the carbs off it ran like new, just poured gas everywhere. Now it's back firing, when i try to get on it it feels like i'm dragging an anchor. I bought new plugs thinking i fouled one out, didnt do anything different. There was 2 nobs (lack of knowledge makes this tough) one adjusts idle and the other is on the accelerator advance pump(small brass nut on rod with spring) by trying different combos i got it to stop back firing but still has the anchor pull going on. If you have any ideas let me know. Tomorrow i guess i'm taking it to the local kaw shop to have the guy look at it unless a miracle happens and i figure this thing out. Thanks in advance

More
18 Apr 2008 18:27 #207469 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
JR, yah 80% of the snow is gone. Now I'm cleaning up and paiting my work shop. Getting ready to role the bike in and start having fun. :)

hammerheads06, How's the miricle coming? :unsure:

Best of success.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Apr 2008 20:55 #207493 by hammerheads06
i rode her a little this evening trying to get it figured out. No success. I've got a buddy with a '81 454ltd that rides with me alot so we're headed to the next town over tommorrow morning to go see the kaw repair guru. I'll keep ya posted......btw a buddy of mine owns a fab shop here in town, he's making me some custom foot pegs, handle bars and some other goodies, I'll post some pics when i get the pegs next week

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2008 11:22 #207621 by hammerheads06
so I took it down to Kenny Brit, he owns one of the local(read better) cycle repair shops,he spent a total of 2 minutes listening to her run and told me to check my coil wire. BINGO. Apperently its pretty common to knock it loose putting the tank on and off. Well anyways shes running great and he didnt charge me anything ( i offered to buy him lunch). If you live in the tri cities area of tennessee i would recomend him any day of the week