HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2008 17:12 #206755 by hammerheads06
HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas was created by hammerheads06
So I've had my bike back for about a week with no problems and noticed a substantial amount of gas under it when i came out of my work today. I was just picking up my paycheck so the time it took me to b.s. with my boss and drink a soda i had a puddle under my bike. It looks like its coming out of a little valve on my number 2 carb from the left side (see pic) like I said, it hasn't leaked at all since i got it back and just started, please help.

\'79 KZ650-B1,custom LED brake light and turn signals, coil power mod, cool army paint job with plenty more to come. Located in Johnson City, Tn
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 17:39 #206760 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
That's your #2 overflow. If it's leaking there the needle/seat in the #2 carb most likely needs to be replaced, but can also be just a matter of dirt in the seat or a sticking float. The big question though is why the fuel petcock allowed fuel to flow. If you have a vacuum petcock, with the lever in either on or reserve gas does not flow until the engine is running, so if this is what you have the petcock is also bad. Some guys assume the petcock goes bad and gas flows right past the needle/seat and leaks, but this is not the case. On a properly working set of carbs you could leave the gas in the prime position for a year and no gas would leak, so it appears you still have a couple small problems to get fixed there.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2008 18:05 - 15 Apr 2008 18:06 #206768 by hammerheads06
Replied by hammerheads06 on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
Thank you for your response.I have replaced the petcock, and when its in the off position it stops leaking. The carbs were just rebuilt about 8 months ago with only about 20 miles on them before she went into hibernation. I'm thinking you are right with the dirt in the seat or stuck float b/c she has been sitting for awhile. Up until today there was a few times where i left the gas on overnight and there wasnt a drop under it. Now for the next question, What's the simplist way to resolve this problem? I'm guessing i will have to remove the carbs?

\'79 KZ650-B1,custom LED brake light and turn signals, coil power mod, cool army paint job with plenty more to come. Located in Johnson City, Tn
Last edit: 15 Apr 2008 18:06 by hammerheads06.

More
15 Apr 2008 18:21 #206769 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
If cleaning the needle valve eliminates the symptom then you need to ask how the dirt/rust got there.

An inline gas filter is needed. If you have one it may need to be changed for a new one. Longer term, you may need to clean out your tank.

Best of success.

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
15 Apr 2008 19:10 #206779 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
hammerheads06 wrote:

...What's the simplist way to resolve this problem? I'm guessing i will have to remove the carbs?

With engine running, rap smartly against the float bowl with a plastic mallet. This will often dislodge a speck of crud caught between the float needle and seat. If successful, would also drain the float bowl to hopefully flush out any remaining grit or crud.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Apr 2008 19:13 #206780 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
Once you solve the problem you should install the overflow lines. Just attach rubber (neopreme?) tubing to the 4 overflow nipples and run them behind the engine to a couple inches below the rear of the engine. This will keep fuel from rnning onto a hot engine if the problem happens again. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2008 19:23 #206784 by hammerheads06
Thanks for all the advice guys, as far as how the dirt/rust might have got there, although I'm in a state of denial the tank does need to be cleaned and maybe por15? It looks like its just a cpl of patches of surface rust so I've just been ignoring it:blush:

More
15 Apr 2008 23:16 #206817 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
I got lucky once and pulled the bowl off while the carbs were still on the bike, put a clean white cloth under the carb and turned on the gas. It flowed fast enough to flush out the chunk of crud and it got caught on the cloth. Also as stated before put on a filter and all should be well.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
16 Apr 2008 09:45 #206894 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
hammerheads06 wrote:

Thank you for your response.I have replaced the petcock, and when its in the off position it stops leaking.

The technical term for that is "normal"...:laugh:

Most of them will seep if the petcock is left ON because gravity never stops pushing. The needle to brass seat is a metal to metal seal so some gas can seep by. If it leaks a lot quickly, you need to take the seat and needle out and polish the contact surfaces to make sure they are smooth. Or, buy new ones if they are available.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Apr 2008 09:47 #206895 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
hammerheads06 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice guys, as far as how the dirt/rust might have got there, although I'm in a state of denial the tank does need to be cleaned and maybe por15? It looks like its just a cpl of patches of surface rust so I've just been ignoring it:blush:

Even if the tank is pristine, you will have a bunch of sediment and crud in the bottom of it because it is in the gas we buy. Take off the petcock and rinse the inside of the tank with some mineral spirits and get the crud out. Then clean the petcock and you should be good. Inline filters are always a good idea.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Apr 2008 11:58 #206913 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic HELP.... leaking ALOT of gas
Would like to point out that if the #2 float bowl (accelerator pump) check valve is malfunctioning or came out, gas will leak; just the gas in the #2 bowl will make a bit of a mess.

If you have a bit of crud between float seat and needle valve, you can remove the gas hose to the carbs and blow (kind of gently) with some compressed air and that will usually blow out the crud. If you want to go nuts, after ensuring that your tank isn't the source of crud and installing an inline filter, you can install a new needle seat assembly. I would suspect the accelerator pump check valve though... just from the fact that none of the other carbs are spewing. By the way, it isn't all that comforting to have gas overflow on a HOT engine. You might consider some hoses attached to the overflow barbs and routed over your swingarm.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• hammerheads06
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2008 10:14 #207139 by hammerheads06
wired george, i think YOU might have rebuilt these carbs. I went to your web site and noticed a few things. My buddy that i bought the bike from said he had to send them to TX to be rebuilt and I know he was on this website (thats how i found out about it)and i noticed when i was out looking at it that it had the allen wrench headed bolts in the carbs. If it was you I just want to say you did a great job and the bike ran fantastic when we threw them back on. Thanx for the help, I'm gonna try the air hose trick and cross my fingers. I'm really trying hard not to have to take the carbs off, when i was out looking , it seems the only way to have access to the bowls is taking the whole set off? I'm a big guy so that means i have big hands and it makes it difficult in the tight lil compartments on the bike. thanx for any and all help guys.....btw i tried to tap the carb, it slowed it down momentarily but when i tapped again it went full flow (same as its been doing) so hopefully the airhose trick works.