High altitude jetting for a ''79 KZ1000 E-1 w/K&N pods?

More
15 Apr 2008 16:43 #206742 by onanysunday
I thought I'd post a new thread looking for any helpful suggestions on this. I've had this bike only about a year and it came with emco pods and roughly 12,000 original miles. It's riding at around 7,000 feet above sea level. It has the standard carburetors.

Two weeks ago I made a switch to the K&N pods. Sparkplugs are looking black, however they are 3 months old. I have a feeling there's a good chance it would need additional adjustments to really "dial-in". I've always been interested in getting the most "juice" out of the bike. I could go back to the emco's but it would make me sad to give up on the K&N's so early. Thanks.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have changed jets on a carb. before. Suggestions?

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2008 06:20 #206841 by wiredgeorge
The sooty plugs may not be related to your jetting. I suggest you check coil voltages and valve clearances. MANY instances of sooty plugs are due to low coil voltages and tight valves. We have tech articles on both subjects on our website.

As far as rejet, we have found little flow difference between Emgo pods and K&N pods. Jetting is normally about the same. Your shafty should have stock #15 pilot jets and #102.5 main jets as I recall. This jetting will work OK with a pump that actually works. Take off your #4 pod (bike doesn't need to be running) and twist the throttle a few times. Do you see gas come out the nozzle in the venturi on the #4 carb? If not, the pump isn't working as it should and jetting will actually be different than normal. At sea level, with a non-working pump, #20 pilots and #115 mains would be about right and clip to 4th slot on jet needle.

If the pump was working at sea level #17.5 pilots, 3rd slot and #115 mains.

If pump is NOT working and since you are at 7K feet, I would back that off to #17.5 pilots and #105 mains. Clip to 3rd slot on the jet needle.

If the pump is working, stay with the #15 pilot jets and go with the #105 main jets and clip to 3rd slot.

Again, look for reasons for sooty plugs other than jetting FIRST and fix these issue before trying to rejet your way out of soot because if you have a weak spark or tight valves, no amount of rejetting will fix the problem. You will still have incomplete combustion.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Apr 2008 16:03 #207881 by onanysunday
Thanks. I've fixed the problem. Turns out my pilot air screws were screwed in too tight. It called for a 1 1/8 turns out (factory setting/first year of emission controlled bikes) But these VM28SS carbs are working much better at a little less than 1 3/8 turns out at high altitude (closer to the Z1 setting). Sounds like it could be a good idea to check coil voltage also.

79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods