softening / renewing neoprene carburetor boots

• Kz1ooo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sportbikes: 'cause piggies can't fly yet!
More
14 Apr 2008 22:29 #206566 by Kz1ooo
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with making the original time-hardened neoprene boots that connect carb to airbox soft again. I have tried boiling them in water which makes them like new, but only for a short while. Does anyone have a technique for putting these otherwise perfect parts back in service, or is it back to the OEM parts counter again? Thanks!

Sure, bikes are important. But if weren\'t for the good ol\' pickup, we\'d have to buy only running bikes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 03:32 #206579 by steell
My method for softening those boots works every time.

I carefully remove the credit card from my wallet and contact Z1 Enterprises to order new ones. That's the only method that I have discovered that actually works :)

KD9JUR

More
15 Apr 2008 05:54 #206626 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic softening / renewing neoprene carburetor boots
Yep well worth the money and the only answer if you run a airbox and are installing and removing a bank of carbs. Fold those baby soft things over on themselves and see an extra inch of clearance for the carbs. Then unfold them over the carb throats. You won't do without them ever again.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
15 Apr 2008 06:50 #206633 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic softening / renewing neoprene carburetor boots

I carefully remove the credit card from my wallet and contact Z1 Enterprises to order new ones. That's the only method that I have discovered that actually works

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

+1

It's true!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
15 Apr 2008 07:38 - 04 Dec 2008 05:53 #206642 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 05:53 by JMKZHI.

More
15 Apr 2008 08:03 #206644 by steell
If Jeff at Z1 can't get the boots you need, then that means looking for NOS ones on eBay.

Z1 can get any OEM Kawasaki part that is still available, and he has many parts that aren't listed on the site, you just need to e-mail or call.

KD9JUR

More
15 Apr 2008 09:21 #206660 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic softening / renewing neoprene carburetor boots
steell wrote:

I carefully remove the credit card from my wallet and contact Z1 Enterprises to order new ones. That's the only method that I have discovered that actually works :)

I was going to say, I thought those things were rubber, not neoprene. And as far as I know, there is no way to reverse the process of oxidizing and hardening. They make a chemical for belts and pulleys in tape recorders but it basically just dissolves away the surface hardened stuff, it can't really renew the rubber.

1979 KZ-750 Twin