jetting for low speed on 29 smoothbores

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
14 Apr 2008 08:23 #206356 by trianglelaguna
jetting for low speed on 29 smoothbores was created by trianglelaguna
:unsure: i have a 76 kz 900 with a supertrapp- 29 smoothbores -and emgo pod filters.My question is if anyone knows any books out there that i can buy that explain in detail how the mikuni carbs work inside??
My bike was just reassembled yesterday with the new header and some e-bay smoothbore sof unkown jet sizes..the bike runs rough on idle and stutters a little at first ,then clears out and gets on the pipe and runs perfect (kinda loud and peaky)at speeds faster than a crawl.
I am really happy with the throttle in a roll on once moving and at speed ...it is only when i come to a stop light that it returns to a stumble jetting?
i have read some about the idle jets or needles having clips and needing lower or higher grooves clipped is this my answer and are there any books published that cover this procedeure....thanks craig..831-601-8456

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2008 09:22 - 14 Apr 2008 09:25 #206364 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic jetting for low speed on 29 smoothbores
I enjoy this Sudco Mikuni manual available from Z1E which has a good section on the smoothbores.

Z1E's Sudco

Also some good information on Z1E website regarding base settings of the various carbs, including smoothbores.

Good Luck! :)

And WELCOME to the forum! :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Apr 2008 09:25 by Patton.

More
14 Apr 2008 09:32 #206370 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic jetting for low speed on 29 smoothbores
Here is an excellent thread about Emgo pod filters.
Just something to keep in mind.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
14 Apr 2008 11:22 #206412 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic jetting for low speed on 29 smoothbores
The base settings are not particularly useful nor will most bikes run well using them from my experience. If your engine is stock with only the pipe and pod mods, I suggest 5DL31-3, #17.5 pilot and #120 main jets. Turn the air mixture screws to 1/8 turn out from lightly seated. As far as the Emgo pods, they don't significantly obstruct the air jets on the constant velocity carburetors (as shown) to make a difference and don't obstruct mechanical slide carbs either where it makes a difference (such as VM29). The pictures that were in the thread make it appear that the lip is actually against the air jets but it isn't... the air jets only require still air and have effect when the slide is closed as they provide air to the pilot and main circuits with the slide closed.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
14 Apr 2008 15:05 #206473 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic jetting for low speed on 29 smoothbores
thank you all for the reply's...
i'm gonna try wiredgeorges 1/8 turned out on my screws and go from there..this site has been reassuring to a old kawi fan with a solo hobby... no other z folks around so far .
i also thank all for the sites to aquire reference books..
knowledge is freedom....peace all craig
p.s special thanks to you george fpor the help...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife