need help with first bike

More
12 Apr 2008 18:25 #205978 by Trinity
need help with first bike was created by Trinity
I've recently bought a 1982 kz750e and i'm having trouble with the idle.
what it's doing is when it's warmed up it idles high between 4 and 6 thousand RPM.now i'm a little scared of riding it because of that. but at first i thought the needles were sticking, i'm really not sure what it is. but it only does it when it's warm. if any one could help me with this i would be very greatfull.

thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2008 19:35 #205986 by JR
Replied by JR on topic need help with first bike
Welcome to the forum.
This is probably a dumb question on my part but have you tried turning the idle down ? The idle adjustment (assuming you have the same carbs as me) is a black knob underneath and slightly behind carbs # 2 and 3.
Idle speed when warm should be about 1200 or 1300rpm.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
12 Apr 2008 19:43 #205990 by Trinity
Replied by Trinity on topic need help with first bike
yah i saw that in my clmyer book unfortuntly that didn't work:(

More
12 Apr 2008 19:56 #205994 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic need help with first bike
Check and see if you have any vacuum leaks.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
13 Apr 2008 07:32 #206099 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic need help with first bike
My brothers bike started doing this after he put the carbs back on. It turned out to be just a stupid mistake because when he put the throttle cables back into the carbs he messed up which cable should be turned in more and He got the throttle advance cable to tight and it wouldn't let the thing that opens the butterflies sit down against the throttle adjust screw. If I were you I would disconnect the throttle cables and run it and see if it idles before I went digging in the carbs for something worse.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
13 Apr 2008 18:36 #206221 by JR
Replied by JR on topic need help with first bike
I'm not sure I fully ubderstand the problem.
Does it start normally using the choke ? and then you shut off the choke (gradually) and then the idle goes to 4,000rpm as it warms ?
If the idle knob does not let you turn down any more then like Becker says check the throttle cable. You should have a little bit of slack in the throttle. You should be able to turn the throttle grip about a 1/4 inch before it starts to pull the cable. If you are not seeing this then check cable adjustment at the handlebars and you may have to take the gas tank off and check the adjustment at the carbs. The cable itself may just be caught up somewhere between throttle grip and carbs.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 Apr 2008 19:02 #206227 by Trinity
the bike starts up just fine with the choke and then take if off gradually. then i take it out once it's ready buy when i'm riding around and i come to a stop i pull in the clutch and return the throttle to the closed position. the rpm s spike when i pull in the clutch.

More
13 Apr 2008 19:04 #206229 by Trinity
there are even times that i have let go of the throttle completely and the bike has stayed under power, crusing around 30 35 miles per hour

More
13 Apr 2008 19:49 #206251 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic need help with first bike
I must say this sounds like a throttle cable issue. You may have to remove the fuel tank to be sure, but make sure your throttle is returning to the stop. It's possible your bike may have a 'push' and a 'pull' cable. Either cable failing can cause the condition you've described. Get a service manual and check it out.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
14 Apr 2008 06:43 #206328 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic need help with first bike
Not sure whether you have CV34 or BS34 but I suspect you have only one throttle cable. It should have VISIBLE SLACK in the cable down near the carburetors. If it has slack, it could be that the venturis have crud built up and the throttle butterflies are unable to close easily. This is pretty common on both the Keihin and Mikuni constant velocity carburetors. A ridge of crud builds up where the throttle butterflies are located. Other things that can cause this are bad choke plunger pads (on the Mikunis), bad carb holders (not sealing), missing or badly cracked vacuum caps on the carb vacuum ports. Missing or very bad mixture screw orings. On the CV34s, if the carburetors have been disassembled, if they were reassembled incorrectly, it can cause binding that will cause the throttle butterflies to hang and the idle to shoot up. Lots of possibilities.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!