Neoprene Pilot Jet Plugs KZ750 LTD

More
07 Apr 2008 20:33 #204903 by brox
Hi, I need some info on the carburetor on a 1981 KZ750 LTD. It has the Keihin CV34 carburetors. There is a neoprene plug with o ring covering the pilot jet. What is the purpose of this? And could too tight an oring prevent fuel from getting to the pilot? I am asking because I installed a K&L carburetor kit and the o rings supplied were too big, so I had to file them down so they fit. They fit really tight, just wondering if this is okay? What would happen if the plugs were removed? Would the bike still run allright?

From Bismarck, ND
1981 KZ750 LTD w/Kerker Header
2006 KTM 200 XCW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2008 07:21 #204989 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Neoprene Pilot Jet Plugs KZ750 LTD
I did the exact same thing last month and haven't had any trouble with the carbs. I put about 50-60 miles on them before I had to break down the front end to replace the front fork seals.

I know that if you don't have the plug in, the bike doesn't run correctly, but beyond that, you'll have to wait for the experts to chime in.

More
08 Apr 2008 08:59 #205011 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Neoprene Pilot Jet Plugs KZ750 LTD
The pilot jet gets fuel from the adjacent main jet well and not from the float bowl directly. The plug must be tight else gas will leak by. It is likely better to put some grease on the oring rather than "file" the oring to get it fitted. It will be retained by a fitting cast into the float bowl once in place.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!