99 KZ1000P carb rebuild?

More
05 Apr 2008 07:11 #204378 by Mike W.
99 KZ1000P carb rebuild? was created by Mike W.
Hi guys,

I put my #2 KZP on the road last weekend but am guessing by its current behavior that I didn't add fuel stabilizer for this one, but did for my other bikes. I've boiled the behavior down to: "I gotta clean the carbs".

Checked Z1 and didn't see a carb kit. Is a carb rebuild kit available anyplace? If so, a pointer would be much appreciated.

Might as well memorialize the issue to see if anyone agrees with my plan of attack..

Upon starting the idle hunts a bit.. upon warming soars but dies when you shut the choke off (assumed clogged idle ckt).

Using an infrared thermometer, the #4 cylinder is 50-100 deg cooler than the other three. Excellent spark.

Bike is "ridable" but you struggle slightly pulling away from a stop.

If you spray starting fluid into the #4 carb while it's idling, the idle speed climbs and then falls off... it's eating the fluid fine.

If you lock the throttle so you have a steady 2000 rpm run, it holds 2000 for a bit and then leaps to 5000. I am concluding an extra splash of fuel happens after a short delay (seconds). Possible sticky float valves giving way after the float is totally off of them surging fuel into the bowl?

It is very likely I have mis set the idle speed along the way. Bike was strong and perfect when I put it away last May and rode my #1 bike all year.

I have a spare full stack of carbs that I bought during my early parts enthusiasm binge shortly after getting the first KZP. I think I will rebuild that and then yank the bad bank.

Anyone disagree or have a different idea?

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2008 10:16 #204423 by sean5775
Replied by sean5775 on topic 99 KZ1000P carb rebuild?
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would double check the fuel level in the #4 carb myself, just to make sure it is correct. What you are describing could be caused by too low a fuel level in that carburetor. That might turn out to be the problem and save you lots of work.

1972 Kawasaki H2-750 Triple Mach IV
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 A4
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ750LTD-4
1983 Suzuki GS650 Tempter
1981 Yamaha Virago XV920

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.