84' gpz1100 popping

More
18 Mar 2008 20:18 #200863 by 74delta
84' gpz1100 popping was created by 74delta
any help would be appreciated! i just picked up an 84' gpz1100 converted to carb'd w/ minuki's, 4into1, with a kerker baffle. he says its jetted properly and the popping barely lingeres after the bike is warm but is still there. any ideas? i've noticed the number 2 pipe doesn't get as hot as the oyhers. any signifigance to that?

84\\\\\\\' gpz1100
minuki carbs
vance and hynes pod filters
kerker baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 07:03 #200922 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 84' gpz1100 popping
Since this is your first post, I will try and be kind. First, without knowing what carburetors are being asked about and what jetting you have or what airbox you are using, can't guess at jetting. Popping is either a lean air/fuel mixture or air leak and the pipe not getting hot means that cylinder isn't firing. When you mention "he says its jetted properly", who is "he". From what I am hearing, I doubt it is jetted properly but without basic info, who knows?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Mar 2008 07:55 #200926 by 74delta
Replied by 74delta on topic 84' gpz1100 popping
i have flatside minuki carbs, kerker pod filters, i'm not really sure the jet size. the former owner told me he had the bike proffesionally jetted. also pipe isn't staying icecold. wouldn't the bike barely run if a cylinder wasn't firing.

84\\\\\\\' gpz1100
minuki carbs
kerker baffle

More
19 Mar 2008 09:27 #200957 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 84' gpz1100 popping
74delta wrote:

i have flatside minuki carbs, kerker pod filters, i'm not really sure the jet size. the former owner told me he had the bike proffesionally jetted. also pipe isn't staying icecold. wouldn't the bike barely run if a cylinder wasn't firing.

If the #2 is not as hot at idle, it could mean the carbs are not synced and that throttle valve isn't open as much as the others at idle. If it is significantly cooler after riding it, that's a real problem.

As for the "popping", if you mean popping when you let off the gas? A little of that is probably normal, a lot of popping probably means the pilot system is a shade lean either from jetting or intake leak.

Does it run OK otherwise? Changing carbs/headers and adding pods would be hard to dial in, if it runs OK that might be as close as the shop could get it given all the mods.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Mar 2008 09:55 #200966 by 74delta
Replied by 74delta on topic 84' gpz1100 popping
I may have a little intake leak. i have a little back fire through the carb. The pod filters are a little ratty looking so i am thinking of changing them out to some new k&ns. thank you for the advice!

84\\\\\\\' gpz1100
minuki carbs
kerker baffle

More
19 Mar 2008 11:38 #200986 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 84' gpz1100 popping
The carbs being out of sync isn't likely to make popping.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Mar 2008 09:31 #201186 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 84' gpz1100 popping
wiredgeorge wrote:

The carbs being out of sync isn't likely to make popping.

That's true, it would only make one pipe a bit cooler than the rest at idle if it wasn't running much gas into that carb.

I agree with your original post that popping is from lean running.

1979 KZ-750 Twin