Mikuni 34mm RS Jetting Recommendation

More
17 Mar 2008 20:42 #200679 by jpakes53
Mikuni 34mm RS Jetting Recommendation was created by jpakes53
I am getting ready to finish up my project and start it for the first time. I just ordered up a brand new set up Mikuni RS 34mm flatslides. I am looking for some ideas of where I should start with the initial jetting and carb settings? I have a 76 kz900 that is overbored to 1015cc with 10.5:1 comp, mild cams, 1mm oversized undercut/backcut valves, mild porting, dyna 2000 ign. I live in southern wisconsin so that should help with the elevation. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2008 06:50 #205889 by BlackStar
Replied by BlackStar on topic Mikuni 34mm RS Jetting Recommendation
I've got RS34's (RS34-D21-K) on a GS1000. I can tell you where I'm at now, but I don't think I'm done yet. Still fine tuning after the overhaul which included a displacement increase.

Pilot Jet: stock @ 17.5
Needle Jet: stock @ P4
Main Jet: 130

I was running the stock Jet needles, but have changed to a 9DZH03 (clip at 3rd groove down) to cure a little surging at highway speeds. Bike runs good although I think I'm a little fat on fuel. I'd rather work from rich to lean than start out lean and try to get it richened up before burning something up.

I'm at about 800 ft above sea level here and temps have been 50 to 70F. Running K&N pods with drychargers over them and a V&H 4-1 with the comp. baffle.

On another note, this year before re-installing carbs, I pulled the bowls to check for debris. I noticed that all the floats were set too low from the factory. These were brand new last summer and had never had the bowls off. I reset them to spec. You may want to check yours.

The bowl o-rings can be hard to get back into place if they are soaked in gas, they swell. Leave them set out overnight and they will shrink back to size.

I think you will love these carbs. They are easy to work on since you can change jet needle/settings without effecting the sync. and on the bike. Main jets and Needle Jets can be changed on the bike as well.

1978 Suzuki GS1000: Indexed,trued, welded crank, 1085 kit, Mikuni RS34 carbs, K&N pods, V&H 4-1 with comp. baffle.

2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior 1700: Patrick Racing Big Air Kit, Speedstar 2-1 exhaust.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.