overflow tubes

More
17 Mar 2008 12:54 #200585 by markc3wa
overflow tubes was created by markc3wa
Thanks for the advice regarding the tee fitting I poster earlier. I've replaced the tee, installed the carbs, and the bike starts and runs fairly well. There's some tuning to do, of course, but I'm pretty happy with the fruits of my labor so far.

Now I need suggestions for replacing the float bowl overflow tubes. The old ones are, well, old. They appear to be made of some sort of vinyl tubing with 1/8" inside diameter. They appear to have melted at the outlet ends and some of them are cracked on the inlet ends. They're around $17.50 apiece on cheapcycleparts.com and I'm pretty sure a cheaper alternative can be found. I need to replace the tube that runs from the #2 carburetor to the vacuum inlet on the petcock as well. I don't know what it's supposed to be made out of because the bike didn't have one on it when I bought it. I'd like to read suggestions about that piece as well.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2008 16:29 #200632 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic overflow tubes
You need to have a look at the connections instructions (either VM or BS) on our website before going much farther. There are no vinyl overflow tubes and your petcock should be connected to a vacuum fitting.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
17 Mar 2008 16:51 - 17 Mar 2008 16:52 #200637 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic overflow tubes
markc3wa wrote:

Thanks for the advice regarding the tee fitting I poster earlier. I've replaced the tee, installed the carbs, and the bike starts and runs fairly well. There's some tuning to do, of course, but I'm pretty happy with the fruits of my labor so far.

Now I need suggestions for replacing the float bowl overflow tubes. The old ones are, well, old. They appear to be made of some sort of vinyl tubing with 1/8" inside diameter.

I doubt they are vinyl, they are almost surely rubber it's a question of what kind. In general, you can get "fuel line" which is made from very durable rubber in most ID sizes. When I replaced the overflow tubes on mine I just used fuel line of the correct ID. Vaccum hose is also rubber but is not fuel resistant and has a seam in one side. It typically does not live long in an automotive environment (dries out and splits). Fuel line costs more but lasts longer.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Mar 2008 16:52 by bountyhunter.

More
17 Mar 2008 16:54 #200639 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic overflow tubes
markc3wa wrote:

I need to replace the tube that runs from the #2 carburetor to the vacuum inlet on the petcock as well. I don't know what it's supposed to be made out of because the bike didn't have one on it when I bought it.

That's a vacuum line, so you can use either regular vacuum hose or rubber fuel line if you want something stronger. Just match the ID so it will fit onto the metal fitting snug.

1979 KZ-750 Twin