1980 KZ1000 Classic with Fuel Injection that Stalls

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
17 Mar 2008 17:58 - 17 Mar 2008 17:58 #200647 by Duck
Here's Davids bike.
She's a beauty.
Any thumbnail links to page with selectable detail and resolution for all.

[img
[img
[img
Last edit: 17 Mar 2008 17:58 by Duck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2008 02:09 - 18 Mar 2008 03:36 #200705 by Dave Sloan
Yep, I have but its a z650

Sid hasnt done the conversion yet but has the ms1 built (We got them in the same group buy) but I think he might go for a microsquirt now

Z650B2 - Injected
Last edit: 18 Mar 2008 03:36 by Dave Sloan.

More
18 Mar 2008 04:52 #200714 by ddowns
How difficult was it to make the conversion? Any additional pics or advice would be great.

David

David
Decatur, Georgia
1980 KZ1000 Classic with Fuel Injection

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
18 Mar 2008 06:56 #200729 by pstrbrc
Hey Dave! Good to see you again!
(oops! HIJACK NOTICE)
Is that a wide-band O2 display on your left grip?
Just out of curiosity, are you running fuel only, or are you running fuel and spark?

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
18 Mar 2008 07:37 #200731 by pstrbrc
Back to you, David (ddowns)I don't know of any Plug and Play way to make the early Kaw FI work to modern standards. Here's a list of what's wrong with it:
The injectors are wrong at both top and bottom to find an easy replacement.
The electronic box is actually analog based, not digital. This really complicates things, and makes "piggybacking" with another unit impossible.
The air flow meter is actually a flapper valve in the intake, which means that it impairs flow.

Here's the good about it:
If you have a control unit that works, it will work forever. (ps, My GPz11 box was working when I parked it, and the only reason I changed it was because MegaSquirt is so much fun to play with!)If the unit on your bike has run this long, I doubt if it is the problem.
The injectors can be cleaned and tuned up.
www.witchhunter.com/
Good reports about what they can do. It's the first place to start.
The factory FI is reasonably easy to tune with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
When the system works, it's stone-age reliable. And if it's still on your bike, and it's run this long, I'd keep it. Here's the deal: most guys have tossed theirs away, plugged the injector ports, and fitted carbs. So, 10 years from now, which Classics will bring top dollar? My bet is the ones w/factory FI still running.

So, here's my recommendation:
Have the injectors professionally cleaned.
Replace all fuel lines (make sure you use "fuel injection" hose on all pressurized lines!)and make it a point to change your fuel filter regularly.
Replace the fuel pump with an MSD #2225 (E-Bay, Jegs, Summit Racing)(<$100, usually). These are slightly smaller in diameter than the factory ones, and I've had to make a collar out of 1 1/2" wide weatherstripping, but all that did was make it quieter! Don't worry about overheating, the pump is cooled by the fuel going through.
Get an adjustable fuel pressure gauge. One of those cheap chinese ones that you can get off of e-bay will work, but don't trust the pressure gauge that comes with it! Factory pressure is 36# with the vacuum line detached. Lowering the pressure will lean it, raising the pressure with enrichen it. Just don't use this to cover up other problems.
But, considering what shape the rest of your bike is in, do what you can to keep the FI.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
18 Mar 2008 20:23 #200864 by ddowns
The bike was last registered in 2002 and rarely run. As a result, he could not get it to run right properly. I am hopeful that a thorough fuel cleaning and fuel line replacement will result in a running bike. I plan to start removing the fuel injectors this week and find replacements or have them refurbished.

David
Decatur, Georgia
1980 KZ1000 Classic with Fuel Injection

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
19 Mar 2008 04:19 #200905 by The Gringo
If you price new replacement injectors you better be sitting down. IIRC they run about $300.00 each. If you are going to refurbish yours you might want to check with Russ Collins at RC Engineering. Since he has retired from drag racing he has been busy fooling with injectors for all kinds of race engines. I've often thought he might be the go to guy if my bike ever develops problems with the injectors.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
20 Mar 2008 15:56 #201243 by Dave Sloan
I'll have a look if I can find any pics, the fuel side is relativly easy compared to the ignition. having all the hardware in place you should not have to many hurdles.
Yes that is a Wb02 on hte bars, its a tech edge 2E0 wbo2 and a palm pda are the way to go with tuning the VE table. You just log and put it through Megalod veiwer's ve analyser to get a target afr table, its great :)
Yes I am running fuel and igniton.

Z650B2 - Injected

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
21 Mar 2008 08:54 #201361 by The Gringo
I was just looking at the RC eng. website and it looks like they offer an injector cleaning and testing service at a cost of $26.50 per injector. Pretty reasonable when compared to the cost of new ones. Here is a link to their site.
www.rceng.com/index.aspx

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
21 Mar 2008 09:47 #201378 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1980 KZ1000 Classic with Fuel Injection that Stalls
ddowns wrote:

New member of Zrider and KZ1000 Classic. Just purchased the bike with running problem. I was hoping someone could help me figure out which part is bad.

It seems to me that I am getting way too much fuel causing the engine to flood. I have heard that I may need a new computer, airflow meter, or cold start sensor. I tried to disconnect (also ground it) the cold start sensor and had the same result. If I shut off the fuel supply it seems the bike runs great until the fuel runs out. Could it be that my fuel pump is pushing too much fuel?

Does anyone live in Metro Atlanta that might be able to help me solve this problem? Perhaps you have the same bike.

Thanks,
David

Most EFI systems have a control loop that controls the richness by adjusting the "open time" (duty cycle) of the injectors. There is a temps emsor that adjusts the setting to "full rich" when the engine is cold, then transfers control to the 02 (oxygen sensor) loop after the engine warms up. The 02 loop adjusts richness based on the amount of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream.

If the engine is staying in "full rich" mode, it will run too rich after it warms up.

Another possibility: could you have a sticking injector that is staying open?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Mar 2008 10:01 #201383 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1980 KZ1000 Classic with Fuel Injection that Stalls
ddowns wrote:

Update: Today I replaced the battery and noticed hours later that the injectors are still hot (with ignition off) and the computer was hot as well. Obviously, the injectors are wide open and the only way I can cool them off is to disconnect the battery. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem?

Thanks,
David

Sounds like the integrated circuit that controls the injectors is hosed. That IC computer module would have four power transistors inside it used as switches to drive the four injector's coils. They are designed to only be ON a certain length of time, not all the time. If the module is turning them on permanently, they will dissipate a lot of power and get very hot. Sounds like the electronics are fried.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Mar 2008 10:04 #201385 by bountyhunter
ddowns wrote:

The bike was last registered in 2002 and rarely run. As a result, he could not get it to run right properly. I am hopeful that a thorough fuel cleaning and fuel line replacement will result in a running bike. I plan to start removing the fuel injectors this week and find replacements or have them refurbished.

You may want to swap out the control module and see if that fixes it. Your injectors may be fine, based on the symptoms it sounds like the controller that drives them is not working.

1979 KZ-750 Twin