83 750 twin carb info needed

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Mar 2008 20:36 #199836 by Wildh2oskier
83 750 twin carb info needed was created by Wildh2oskier
Me being the super genius that I am decided that it would be a good idea to take my carbs off, take them to work tear them completely down and put them in the Ultra sonic cleaner. It worked they are clean shiney and vey very pretty. I reassembled them and reattached them. Now is where my intelligence comes in: I have no idea how they were set before I tore them down. I thought that I would get the bike back to running and then adjust them to get the best performance. The flaw in this plan is the @#$@%#$^ thing won't hit a lick now.
Does anyone out there have any idea what the baseline settings for these carbs are? If I can get it run I can take it from there.
Thanks again
WildH2oskier resident super genius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2008 21:57 #199840 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
My 79 KZ750 twin uses Mikuni BS38. The mixture screw should be roughly 2 turns out from all the way in for starters.

The needles are set in the center notch (#3).

Don't know what else you could have changed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Mar 2008 05:03 #199852 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
The 83 uses BS34 carbs and the needle is not adjustable, the only adjustments possible are the idle screw and the float level.

You did set the float level when you reassembled them right?

Check the plugs to see if they are wet with gas, if not then determine why.

Check to see if you are getting spark, maybe the problem is not related to the carbs, might just be a coincidence.

KD9JUR

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2008 20:49 - 14 Mar 2008 20:52 #200081 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
I set the mixture screws to 2 turns out and took a short ride. :)
However it wanted to cut out at over 50 mph. So I was thinking that I need to adjust them again in about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. I would have done it tonight but while I was stopped filling up the tank on it a young guy on a Suzuki 750 croth rocket was filling up next to me. Well we got to talking and comparing the difference in technology then he left. When he took off he was showing out and left like a bat out of hell, I took a different route since I was still confused about this cutting out problem and wanted to put a few more miles on before I went home. After a while I turned and doubled back to go home and make the adjustments. This route took on the way that my newly met fellow rider had taken. You can guess the rest, I topped a hill and saw the ambulance, the crowd and the wadded up bike lying across the road from a very dinged up looking SUV.
I just couldn't bring myself to stop so I don't know how he is, its not that I don't care its just I don't think I'm scared to know.. So I limped on home and parked it in the garage. That brings me to now, I hugged my girls and took some time to think about it. So now on my second Jack and Sprite I felt that maybe putting this story down might help me make a little more sense of it.
Just because the bike was built so that it can be ridden like that, and its a hoot to ride'm like that doesn't mean that you ought to ride it like that.
Ya'll be carefull out there its a dangerous world. Please excuse the grammatical and spelling errors but I really don't feel like editing this right now.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2008 20:52 by Wildh2oskier.

More
15 Mar 2008 07:17 #200115 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
Keep hugging your girls, and ride like the cagers are trying to kill you, live long.

On the cutting out problem. Are you running the stock airbox? You might want to get some "sea foam" and run it through the gas also some people have a problem w/the gas tank not venting and forming a vacume in the tank cutting off gas flow. Try riding w/the gas cap not sealed and see if it still cuts out.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
15 Mar 2008 09:19 #200136 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
Fiddling with the mixture screws won't help the "cutting out" problem at 50 mph. I suggest you take the tops off your carbs and ensure that the diaphragms are seated properly. If they are, then start looking carefully at the other suggestions that are not directly carb related, like a vacuum lock in the tank or plugged filter, etc.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
18 Mar 2008 01:19 #200704 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
I like the idea of taking off the tops and inspecting the diaphrams. I had a similar problem on my KZ400 which also uses rubber diaphrams and when I went to check the carbs one of the diaphrams was disconnected. I bought a replacement on ebay after checking the costs at the kawasaki dealership ($410 !!!) but I haven't put it on yet to see if that was the only problem.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
18 Mar 2008 09:35 #200751 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 83 750 twin carb info needed
Becker wrote:

I like the idea of taking off the tops and inspecting the diaphrams. I had a similar problem on my KZ400 which also uses rubber diaphrams and when I went to check the carbs one of the diaphrams was disconnected. I bought a replacement on ebay after checking the costs at the kawasaki dealership ($410 !!!) but I haven't put it on yet to see if that was the only problem.

Reminds me of the time I priced a brake rotor for mine and it was like $700.

1979 KZ-750 Twin