frustrating carb issue,. 78 kz100a need advice

More
09 Mar 2008 21:32 #199246 by maddogKZ
well i bought a 78 kz1000a as a project bike, bike is alittle rough but not too bad, had some old gas sitting in it.

anyways when i got the bike the carb on the #1 cyl seemed to have a stuck float as gas would piss out of the overflow, stop, then piss again showing the float was not closing off the feed in time or it was stuck. i took them apart cleaned all the jets, got the gum out fo the bowls, ect reinstalled them now the #1 float is doing the same thing again.

is there a way to adjust the float? is this common?

i saw the tab in the center of the flot that presses the feed shut, is it possible to bend the tab to get the float to shut off sooner?

just looking for opinions before i go ahead and mess with it on my own. thanks in adance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2008 22:55 #199257 by PLUMMEN
yep you should adjust them all about the same level

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
10 Mar 2008 05:31 #199277 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic frustrating carb issue,. 78 kz100a need advice
If you don't bend the tangs on the floats appropriately, then you will do more harm than good. If you plan on being a do-it-yourselfer, I suggest you pick up a manual.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Mar 2008 15:34 #199783 by saxjonz
Had the same problem with my 79 I bought with 5ooo miles. It was such a pita that after the 20th time of trying to get them cleaned and working right I bought a pair of 29 smoothbores for a buck and a half. Best damn choice I ever made. Carbs can be a hard thing to get right after sitting for sooooo long so I have learned.
The floats are one thing and seals are another.I had bought another 93zr1100 with no miles that had only been sitting less than a year and a half but had to replace the needles seats or something like that to stop the gas from flooding which was quite a bit of cash for four small things that look like they cost nothing to make but cost 150 bucks. Even after I bought and installed them I still had problems from time to time because they were corroded but the seats had some corrosion too. Would've been better had I bought carbs for that bike too. I must've taken them off to clean them at least six times but could never get the low idle circuit to work right and then this mechanic took them apart and drilled out the tabs for the air/fuel mixture screws and those were all gunked up. He cleaned them and installed those needle gas shutoff valves and I put them on my bike and it ran great until the humidity came on strong and then she would piss gas and flood my bike out. That I know is a different bike but the kz I must've cleaned out over twenty times even paid someone at the end to do it right and it still gave me headaches.

Long story short? It is cheaper and less of a pita if you just buy a good set of carbs already if not be prepared to deal with a potential headache until you get tired. If you have to rebuild the carbs and for some reason the bike still doesn't run right you will be very upset My .02, may not be worth much but certainly piece of mind is sooo much better than stress and headaches on a regular basis.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
13 Mar 2008 15:09 #199932 by maddogKZ
Replied by maddogKZ on topic frustrating carb issue,. 78 kz100a need advice
i feel like a heel, prob ended up being the ignition. i got it sorted out last night and she runs like an animal