carb's not getting gas !!

More
08 Mar 2008 09:10 #199051 by bishop
carb's not getting gas !! was created by bishop
Hi,
I have a set of 29 smoothboress that don"t seem to get gas when cranking !! unless I cover the part where the air cleaner"s go with my hand ! any help would be appreciated !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2008 13:39 #199083 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic carb's not getting gas !!
bishop wrote:

Hi,
I have a set of 29 smoothboress that don"t seem to get gas when cranking !! unless I cover the part where the air cleaner"s go with my hand ! any help would be appreciated !!

Do they have a choke? Covering part of the intake bore is exactly what an old fashioned choke used to do.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
08 Mar 2008 13:49 #199084 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic carb's not getting gas !!
make sure the petcock isnt plugged with tank sediment.

Also, make sure your fuel lines arent clogged ahead of the fuel filter.

Also, make sure the tank is full of gas, this will hinder the carbs getting gas the most. :whistle:

More
08 Mar 2008 14:15 #199091 by bishop
Replied by bishop on topic carb's not getting gas !!
I have a new pingel petcock & new fuel lines & a half tank of gas !! I had the carb"s rebuilt in 2005 while the bike was down, never put them on till 07 ( ran into major health problem"s ) I had the head redone , so I figured nows"s the time to try the carb"s

More
08 Mar 2008 16:52 #199117 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic carb's not getting gas !!
As everyone else said, make sure your getting plenty of gas into the bowls but from what you describe sounds like you need to check out your enrichement circuit (choke) Not getting the rich mixture it needs when cold, is that when you have problems or is it even when warm?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Mar 2008 16:58 #199119 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic carb's not getting gas !!
Have you pulled them apart since the rebuild,in 05?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
08 Mar 2008 18:45 #199134 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic carb's not getting gas !!
The little voice (the one we never listen to,lol) in my head kinda thought the same thing Sandy. Would be worth a little look see.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
08 Mar 2008 19:59 #199145 by bishop
Replied by bishop on topic carb's not getting gas !!
Hi
I didn"t think to pull them apart they were never used since the rebuild by a pro !! & never had gas in them And were still in the box !!

Post edited by: bishop, at: 2008/03/08 23:01

More
08 Mar 2008 21:18 #199148 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic carb's not getting gas !!
First things first...are you SURE that you're getting fuel TO the carbs,from the fuel line,where it connects to the inlet on the carbs?

Go in there with a 17mm wrench and loosen off one of the bowl caps on the bottom,and see if you get fuel seeping out of that cap.Remember that there is an oring on that cap,so make sure you don't pinch it if it falls out of it's groove when you retighten it.
Do that on all 4 to see,before pulling the carbs off the bike(make that the last resort).

Maybe there was some residue in those carbs when you shelved them,and maybe now you have varnished or gummed-up internals?

Check those caps and let us know...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
09 Mar 2008 20:18 #199230 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic carb's not getting gas !!
bishop wrote:

Hi,

If not already doing, pull choke lever all the way up, and leave throttle completely closed (do not touch the throttle) while attempting to crank up a cold engine.

The enrichener circuit is designed to function with the throttle completely closed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD