Air Screw tip stuck in carb body

More
03 Mar 2008 20:28 #198257 by BradL45
Air Screw tip stuck in carb body was created by BradL45
Hello Crew,

I have a KZ650 that I bought last summer that was only running on 3 cylinders. I broke them all down, cleaned and re-tried them, and no dice, so I did it again. One air screw was a bit malformed, so I got a replacement from a salvage yard(story in it's self), and it wouldn't screw all the way into the carb body. I found out that the tip of the previous screw had broken off, and got stuck in the carb body, and me putting a new one in has jammed that broken piece firmly in the card body.

I've tried to push it out with a dental pick with no luck, and don't have the right tool to try to push it out fron the top. Im worried the the orface is now the wrong size, and the tip is still stuck.

I'm thinking I might need a new carb, has anyone here run into the same problem.

I got busted up Paragliding last year(broke both legs, and back), so it sat, I'm slowly getting back to normal, and I might just send off the whole bank to be put together, I'm missing a few small parts as well, it's amazing how the little parts get out of a tupperware container when left unattended for 8 months.

The carbs have been dunked, and are clean, but who do I send them to if I can't get the port cleared?? I think this is probably my problem why #4's pipe doesn't get hot :)

I'll dig out a carb tomorrow, take a picture, and update all the important info, I can't remember the year of the bike,lol. CArbs are Mikuni from ~1977 KZ650.

Thanks guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2008 06:06 #198299 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Air Screw tip stuck in carb body
That isn't an air screw you are referring to, it is a pilot fuel mixture screw. Part of our rebuild service includes fixing stuff like that. On Kaws, the problem isn't terrible since the hole that the very sharp screw broke off in is fairly large but on Suzukis, the hole is MUCH smaller diameter and they routinely break off, even when "lightly seating" the screw.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Mar 2008 12:16 #198367 by BradL45
Replied by BradL45 on topic Air Screw tip stuck in carb body
Thanks George,

What is your turn around time currently?? It sounds like you've fixed that problem before, and I won't need a new carb, whew.

I don't think a complete work over will hurt anything.

Thanks

Brad

More
04 Mar 2008 12:31 #198372 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Air Screw tip stuck in carb body
Please contact me via our website if you have business related questions... our website is advertised on the right side of this page and at the top or in my signature. Business folk are prohibited from doing business here and I strongly support KZRider rules. Thanks!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!