carb swap

More
01 Mar 2008 08:07 #197710 by agawam
carb swap was created by agawam
I have several two stroke kawis and was wondering if I could use the mikuni VM smoothbore carbs on my KZ 4 cylinder, or do you have to use ones with an accelerator pump for that extra shot of fuel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2008 08:43 #197713 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic carb swap
what size of bike? if its the 29 smoothbores youre refering to ive run them on on everything from stock 900s to really healthy 1197s,couple guys here running them on 650s also although i think they might be a little much for stock 650.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
01 Mar 2008 10:07 #197736 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic carb swap
I put smoothbores on my 650 not long after I put on the Yosh pipe on. I got great mileage with them on the stock 650 with a pipe. I got them because of the deal at the time and knew I was going to be hopping up the motor soon. I think their great carbs.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
01 Mar 2008 10:17 #197742 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb swap
If you are asking whether you can use the OEM carbs off a Kaw 2-stroke on your four cylinder, first, they are not smoothbores. They look like smoothbores since they have some of the same casting characteristics but they are not smoothbores. The smoothbore is an aftermarket, performance oriented carburetor not used on any stock Kaw model I know of. Next issue will be how smooth a bike will be using FOUR throttle cables hung from a single cable pulled by the throttle. I doubt synchronizing those things will be all that easy. Last will be choke... How do you pull the choke rods for four singles? You might be clever enough to devise a way to operate the throttles and choke levers in a decent fashion but why bother when Kaw racked four carbs in an assembly already? The only advantage would be if the carbs were actually smoothbores and they are not.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Mar 2008 11:24 #197944 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic carb swap
The carbs I have are from a suzuki T500, I have two sets(4 carbs) there are choke levers on them VM32s I believe is the size, easy to jet and maintain, I have three H1 500s and a KH400 and have been fooling with these carbs for awile now, I also have a 650SR with an 84 700 engine and all the parts to make it an 810 and a set of aftermarket cams around 400 lift 284 dur was toying with the idea of VM carburation because they are so responsive on the two stroke

More
02 Mar 2008 11:31 #197946 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic carb swap
The carbs on the engine now are BS32s have been jetted to 155s (real mikuni size), if I don't use the VMs, what jets do you think I should use in the BS32s

More
02 Mar 2008 15:28 #198002 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb swap
The 155s are way to rich... probably #135s with #40 pilot jets would be pretty close depending on the exhaust and airfilter set up which I am assuming is pods or none at all... In fact, without really knowing anything about the airbox or pipes, I really don't think it is possible to guess at any jetting. the cam profiles won't affect jetting dramatically nor the bump in displacement which is relatively not all that much.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!