Grrr. Throttle still sticks

More
22 Feb 2008 16:34 #196345 by Afrosemite
Grrr. Throttle still sticks was created by Afrosemite
So I replaced the frayed cable today and am still having throttle problems. If I even barely turn the throttle and let go the engine will rev up real high until I "pop" the throttle. Then it calms back down and idles smooth, until I touch the throttle again and I'm back on cruise control... I know there is way more than enough slack in the pull cable but maybe there isn't enough in the push....
it seems like I fixed it before by spraying wd-40 on everything so I will try that again with actual silicone spray lube tomorrow..
Anything else I should look for?
(If you are going to tell me the carbs are screwed then please preface with a *warning*. I want to be sitting down.

\'78 Kz650d sr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 16:39 #196346 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Grrr. Throttle still sticks
Yes, check your cable adjustment (both) If still having a problem then I suggest unhooking both cables from carbs and start motor. If you can move carb throttle and problem is gone then you know something is up with cables or control. My throttle was sticking once and all I had to do was lube throttle shaft where it spins on handle bar.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
22 Feb 2008 17:02 #196349 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Grrr. Throttle still sticks
Maybe I misunderstood your answer but the throttle handle itself doesnt seem to be sticking at all. Is that what you meant?

\'78 Kz650d sr

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
22 Feb 2008 17:32 #196361 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Grrr. Throttle still sticks
Bulemeanie is suggesting that if you disconnect both cables from the carb rack and operate the carbs from there and still have the same problem the problem is *Warning* in your carbs. He's right though, it may be as simple as lubricating the throttle shaft. If the bike returns to idle with the cables removed then the problem is in the cables.

kzcsi

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
22 Feb 2008 18:07 #196372 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Grrr. Throttle still sticks
Probably unrelated to your problem, but here is what happened to me last year.

Last summer I put new grips on the SR and kind of forgot about it. Then I put some things back together including the carb rack and I noticed that the throttle was very slow to close. A bit of troubleshooting revealed the twist grip was not free. I pulled it off and found the grip glue collected at the closed end at the grip and then setup between the grip sleeve and the bar end. I cleaned it out and it's working great.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
22 Feb 2008 19:16 #196382 by Afrosemite
Yeah, I'm afraid the problem is deeper than that. The throttle snaps closed pretty nicely, just doesn't seem to pass the message on. Of course, it's hard to tell because it works most of the time before I actually get out on the road and by the time I get back I am too frustrated to mess with it.
I am going to just soak stuff in spray silicone lube tomorrow and hope for the best

Post edited by: Afrosemite, at: 2008/02/22 22:18

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
23 Feb 2008 01:58 #196409 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Grrr. Throttle still sticks
Coming to mind here are some of the easier things to check as possibilities for idle failing to settle down after throttle snaps shut --

Clean and gap points;
Assure correct ignition timing;
Assure proper operation of automatic advancer unit (assure not sticking and quickly and freely returning to idle position after brief rev).

Assure no air leak (intrusion of outside air into fuel mixture) -- carb holders not cracked and leaking; vacuum nipple caps secure and not leaking; clamps tight and secure holding carbs into carb holders.

Pilot screws adjusted properly. If side located, could start at 1.5 turns out from lightly seated, and adjust from there. Guessing should fall somewhere between one turn and 2 turns out. Check for missing o-ring on pilot adjuster screw.

Good Luck! :)

EDIT: Oops, lucky you -- no points! :lol:

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2008/02/23 08:49

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Feb 2008 05:55 #196414 by Afrosemite
Thanks for the tips. The snow up here in the mountains may keep me from working on it today, but that will just give me extra time to figure out exactly how to follow your advice :cheer:
I'll hope for the best

Also, can you think of any reason that "popping" the throttle would so consistently fix it?

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
23 Feb 2008 08:19 #196443 by Patton
I would first double-check for properly operating automatic advancer unit to assure is not sticking and is quickly and freely returning to idle position after brief rev. Hanging in advanced position could cause the existing symptoms. Easy to see when using a strobe-type timing light

If not already done (can't recall from other posts), would spray WD40 all around the carb intake area while motor is idling, including the carb holders and vacuum nipple caps. Any outside air intrusion should suck in the WD40 and cause a noticable change in RPM and smoke out the exhaust. If spraying the WD40 has no effect, this is evidence of no outside air intrusion into the fuel mixture.

With above possibilites ruled out (advancer okay and no air leaks and pilot air screws adjusted equally at prescribed default start position), and symptoms continue, there may be a problem inside at least one of the carbs.

Random carb thoughts -- something loose in choke linkage; defective choke plunger seal; something loose in throttle slide linkage; crud preventing free throttle slide action; something bent inside; etc. Maybe even a loose pilot jet, or a throttle slide being severly out of synch.

I've undoubtedly missed some -- perhaps a lot of -- possibilities. But without disassembly and inspection, it is amost anybody's guess. That's why it's usually better to start with the easy simple stuff. :lol:

Others here will likely have more ideas and perhaps better more helpful suggestions.

Good Luck! :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2008/02/23 11:21

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2008/02/23 11:34

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Feb 2008 09:16 #196456 by Patton
So forgive me for reaching a little here ---

As known, both throttle cables connect at the carb end to a pulley. The pulley moves back and forth operating a shaft which links to and ultimately lifts (opens) and lowers (closes) the throttle slides inside the carbs. The large strong external carb return spring pulls the throttle closed. When the throttle is allowed to "snap" closed, the "snap" being heard is the collision between the pulley (a designed flat spot on the pulley) as it impacts/collides against the tip of the throttle idle adjusting screw.

Here's a little experiment which might shed some light on the idle problem.

Back way off the throttle idle adjustment screw, so it has no effect and thereby allows the carbs to close completely. Of couse, the "idle" function must then be temporarily controlled by hand manipulating the throttle to prevent the engine from stalling out and dying. Now go for test ride. Does the "idle" still pick up as previously reported -- or does releasing the throttle now consistently result in stalling the engine? Perhaps this experiment will provide a better clue as to actual source of the problem. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Feb 2008 09:59 #196462 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Grrr. Throttle still sticks
I had a similar problem on my MKII years ago after installing lower than stock bars. I could adjust the push/pull cables any way possible and trust me I tried every way possible 10 times. I finally just cut the push cable and used only pull and it worked fine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
24 Feb 2008 13:43 #196738 by Afrosemite
I worked on it for about 30 minutes before it started raining on me. Here is what I accomplished.
#1 Adjusted the cables a little more
#2 Sprayed silicone lube on most things that looked like they would move
#3 started it up

Didn't have any problems, ran it for a while, high revs, low revs. Messed with the choke, messed with the idle screw... No Problems =( I wish I knew what had happened because I'm sure that as soon as I go for a decent ride it's going ot start acting up again.
Here is something I DID notice though, if I was to just pop the throttle while it was idling it would rev up then kind of choke out. Couldn't tell if this was normal
(or due to the pods) or a sign of something.. Just something I noticed

Post edited by: Afrosemite, at: 2008/02/24 17:30

\'78 Kz650d sr