carb tuning question... kinda simple

More
23 Feb 2008 21:30 #196565 by Kingcobra
Replied by Kingcobra on topic carb tuning question... kinda simple
so I got to thinking... the inlet on my stock carbs is a LOT bigger than the fuel line, external filter and petcock I'm running on my bike... is there a chance that these things are starving the bike of fuel at high rpms?
I would say they are all 1/4" and the inlet on the carbs is more like 3/8"... anyone?

a pic of my setup...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2008 23:21 #196578 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic carb tuning question... kinda simple
On the fule line size...pretty sure there's only 2 sizes that we have on our KZ's...1/4 inch and 5/16.
I'm guessing on your 24mm carbs,having only one line to them,the size is 5/16.(not 3/8).
I know that on my 26mm carbs that I was using,it had 2 lines and they were 1/4.
My 29mm carbs have only one line(like yours) and that size IS the 5/16.
The way you have that fuel-line routed...it looks pretty clean,but ya...I have to wonder too,if You maybe DO have a restiction issue there.

Do you have another setup(bigger petcock) that you could try,to rule it out?
How did you manage to get that fuel line onto the carb fitting?Must have beena tight fit,no??

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
24 Feb 2008 05:04 #196599 by outatimeoutlaw
Replied by outatimeoutlaw on topic carb tuning question... kinda simple
Are you sure the tank is well vented? Check the gas cap to see that it is not restricted from venting the tank ,this can cause a vacuum in the tank.My deal with the coil mod was that the starter was pulling down the voltage to the coils. and the bike would turn over good but wouldn't start. After the mod you just kind of graze the start button and its running. The bike seems to run a little better also.

Post edited by: outatimeoutlaw, at: 2008/02/24 08:11

More
24 Feb 2008 08:42 #196638 by Kingcobra
Replied by Kingcobra on topic carb tuning question... kinda simple
the bike cranks instantly... the only problem is running lean at top end... I may have to just try some larger mains and see if that cures it.