cafed650 time to jet spot on!

More
26 Mar 2008 13:42 #202322 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
Qdude wrote:

This is a great thread and has got me thinking....

Is it normal to have strong differences in performance that require carb tweaking over the span of a few hours.

Sometimes, after a great ride in before work, after work I can only get my bike to run smoothly by adding choke. :huh: Normal???

Nope, not supposed to do that.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• scumbag
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
26 Mar 2008 20:36 #202401 by scumbag
Replied by scumbag on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
bountyhunter wrote:

scumbag wrote:

So I have yet to investigate what clip position the needle has but the jetting info you gave is exactly what I am running right now.

Some more info that I have on how the bike was running before I pulled the carbs. When ever a lot of throttle was given the bike would bog or if the throttle was bliped the bike would bog down if not die. the bike would run great from about half throttle onward but the bottom end was lacking.

That EXACTLY describes how mine ran after adding new headers. The fix: lower the clip on the jet needle to give maximum richness.

Understand why: from about "1/2 throttle up" the piston raises fully and the needle is all the way up and not restricting or metering flow. The amount of fuel is determined mainly by the size of the main jet.

But, at lighter throttle openings where the piston is only partly raised, the position of the needle with respect to the piston has a HUGE effect on fuel flow.

Cool...done and done...now to see if it runs any better

oh and how many turns out on the air(or is it fuel) screw on the bottom...I cant find my manual

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

More
27 Mar 2008 11:28 #202497 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
Pilot fuel mixture screw... about 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Mar 2008 13:13 #202520 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
On the bottom? I've got Mikunis too. I thought the screw was air and mine are on top....?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you