cafed650 time to jet spot on!

• scumbag
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
13 Feb 2008 17:31 #194457 by scumbag
cafed650 time to jet spot on! was created by scumbag
Ok so I am tired of the bike running off and its time to get it jetted spot on...

The exhaust is fairly open with minimal baffling and I have a K&N in the airbox...yes the airbox is still there! haha...might consider pods if I get sick of putting the carbs on and off!!!

So...jet opinions...

when I get the carbs off I will tell you whats in there right now.

-Brian

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2008 09:56 #194560 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
scumbag wrote:

Ok so I am tired of the bike running off and its time to get it jetted spot on...

The exhaust is fairly open with minimal baffling and I have a K&N in the airbox...yes the airbox is still there! haha...might consider pods if I get sick of putting the carbs on and off!!!

So...jet opinions...

when I get the carbs off I will tell you whats in there right now.

-Brian

I'm no expert, but I know reducing the back pressure with "open baffling" will make it run severely lean. They usually say go at least +1 richer main and pilot jet for a start. On mine, I also had to go +2 slots richer on my needles to get decent throttle response (YMMV).

Adding pods will probably screw things up completely.

The best info I have ever seen giving a basic procedure to dial in jets and CV carbs is here:

www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

Post edited by: bountyhunter, at: 2008/02/14 12:59

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Feb 2008 19:01 #194674 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
What made you think this guy had CV carbs? The info for CV carbs doesn't translate well to VM series carbs.

After the words about dialing in the bike's jetting, first thing I figure out is that there is NO info on current jetting and no info on how the bike performs with this jetting. I have to make an assumption we are talking about non-pump VM24s with pilot fuel mix screws?

When you look down through the muffer and see "minimal baffling" this is normal with ANY 4 into 1... mostly looks wide open. MOST, if not ALL 4 into 1 systems made for a KZ are perhaps described best as cosmetic noisemakers that don't really flow much better than a stock system. If you are using a K&N filter in the stock airbox, try the stock jetting I guess and see how it works.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
14 Feb 2008 21:04 #194684 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
Brian, i still have the two other sets of carbs here too, i will take a look see at the jets in them. I think they are stockers though.
I will get back to you on them.

• scumbag
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2008 17:07 #201070 by scumbag
Replied by scumbag on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
The carbs are Mikuni vm24ss

Well the main jets are 102.5's and the pilots (the jet right next to the main)have a 50 on them. Have not looked at were the clip is on the needle but will look this eve.

thoughts wired?

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

More
19 Mar 2008 21:42 #201115 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
Not sure if this helps you much or not but with my 77 650, running the stock vm24 (non-pumpers) with the baffle cut off and the back plate put back in and emgo pods I'm running 17.5 pilots, needle one clip down and 117.5 mains and have perfect plug chops (and she's a one kick start and runs like her a$$ is on fire).
Probably doesn't mean much to you right now since you've got a K&N drop in, but if you do opt with pods at least you'll know a good baseline.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• scumbag
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Mar 2008 01:42 #201144 by scumbag
cool...thanks Anarki

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

More
20 Mar 2008 05:34 #201150 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
Is there another pilot jet underneath the '50'?

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
20 Mar 2008 05:57 #201154 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
I can't find it now but WG wrote about these carbs and I believe he mentioned that certain carbs had a #50 restrictor on top of the pilot jet, so yes there should be something underneith it. He says you can leave (save it) the restrictor off.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• scumbag
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Mar 2008 06:36 #201156 by scumbag
Bluemeanie wrote:

I can't find it now but WG wrote about these carbs and I believe he mentioned that certain carbs had a #50 restrictor on top of the pilot jet, so yes there should be something underneith it. He says you can leave (save it) the restrictor off.

Crazy...would love to hear more

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

More
20 Mar 2008 06:52 #201157 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
The barrel jet with the #50 is OVER the pilot jet. It doesn't really have a whole lot of effect on the operation of the pilot jet which has a MUCh smaller hole and is really what controls fuel to the pilot circuit. With your set up, I would use #102.5 main jets and a #15 pilot jet (which is under the #50 jet). The #15 pilot jets are the stock size. I am not sure which jet needle you are using but it likely wouldn't hurt to clip to the 4th slot. The K&N drop in filter and 4 into 1 likely don't flow much more air than a stock filter and pipes. MOST 4 into 1 pipes actually don't flow much better, if at all, than the stock system.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Mar 2008 12:15 #201200 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic cafed650 time to jet spot on!
Are the slots on the needle numbered from

the needle tip (needle point, lol) to butted end,
or the butted end to needle (point)?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you