Put bigger jets in

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
10 Feb 2008 09:44 #193796 by riverroad
Put bigger jets in was created by riverroad
Last summer, I took my airbox off and put on a set of pods (and new boots), so naturally she was running lean. Well just yesterday it got warm enough to ride a little bit, so I went ahead and put in the #115 main jets I'd ordered a while back. (It had 110's).
Got the power back, and she runs great, front end comes right up and/or lights the tire up. Beautiful thing! Except now she wants to cough through the carbs sometimes, especially with throttle off going down hill. She also does some popping through the pipe.
I haven't messed with my mixture screws yet, nor have I looked at my plugs, but when I do, I'll be turning the screws in a little, right? They're the air mixture screws on the sides.
Another question is, I just synched them last fall. Would changing the main jets affect carb sychronization?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2008 11:41 #193809 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Put bigger jets in
riverroad wrote:

...wants to cough through the carbs sometimes, especially with throttle off going down hill. She also does some popping through the pipe.
I haven't messed with my mixture screws yet, nor have I looked at my plugs, but when I do, I'll be turning the screws in a little, right? They're the air mixture screws on the sides. Another question is, I just synched them last fall. Would changing the main jets affect carb sychronization?

turning the screws in will enrichen the pilot circuit (and possibly reduce deceleration popping).

Would changing the main jets affect carb sychronization? Most likely not, as synching is performed with pilot circuit controlling the mixture. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
11 Feb 2008 04:14 #193922 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Put bigger jets in
Thanks Patton. I'll get on that as soon as I can.
But as it's 8 degrees outside right now, I think I'll wait.:)

More
11 Feb 2008 23:25 #194151 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Put bigger jets in
115 might be a bit too big. Check the plugs and maybe try 113's.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
12 Feb 2008 06:31 #194176 by KZReeder
Replied by KZReeder on topic Put bigger jets in
riverroad wrote:

... now she wants to cough through the carbs sometimes, especially with throttle off going down hill. She also does some popping through the pipe.
I haven't messed with my mixture screws yet, nor have I looked at my plugs, but when I do, I'll be turning the screws in a little, right? They're the air mixture screws on the sides.
Another question is, I just synched them last fall. Would changing the main jets affect carb sychronization?

I'd wait till you get a nice warm day to make sure you run it up to temp... I could be wrong but it sounds like you are running a touch on the rich side. If it pops through the carbs it's usually a sign the you "could" be running lean... However if the motor is still a little cold and it does this, you may not have enough choke on... if it pops through the pipes with no choke after it's warm, it's most likely running a little rich.

Check your head bolts too, to make sure your pipes are snugged up well... you can get some popping around there if they've loosened up.