Throttle Issue

More
09 Feb 2008 13:02 #193641 by Afrosemite
Throttle Issue was created by Afrosemite
So I finally got my registration after sitting around in the Santa FE DMV for like three hours. Had a strange problem on the the way there and back though. I've checked around the forums to see if this had already been solved but I couldnt get a good idea. Here goes:
The throttle is acting funny. It works fine when I'm moving but when I want to slow down (engine brake) or am sitting at a stop it acts like the throttle hasnt been released. The handle goes back normally but it may still rev real high. I can fix the problem but just quickly "popping" the throttle which has led me to believe that I just need to take the cable off and lube it.
This sound about right? or could something more sinister be amiss?

tangent question = Best way to lube the cable without one of those handy cable lubers?

\'78 Kz650d sr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2008 13:11 #193644 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Throttle Issue
It sounds like your cables may be adjusted too tight. You have to have a little slack or they will bind. Your repair manual will explain how to set it up right.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
09 Feb 2008 13:15 #193645 by Afrosemite
Replied by Afrosemite on topic Throttle Issue
repair manual may not be here for a week or two.
Is this particularly damaging to the engine? Can't see how it would be but I'm also an idiot so I tend not to go by my idea of "can't see how ______" could be bad

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
09 Feb 2008 14:03 #193650 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Throttle Issue
The easiest way to check it:
Without having the bike running, look underneath the gas tank at the linkage as you are slowly rotating the hand throttle, there should be a slight hesitation before the linkage starts to move. The return cable should also have some slack in it so the throttle can fully seat against the stop screw. If there isn't a tiny bit of play in both cables it will bind. To put more slack in the cable, loosen the lock nut on the adjustment and screw the adjuster in a little bit. Then tighten the lock nut and recheck for play.
Hope this helps.
Ride safe.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
09 Feb 2008 15:18 #193669 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Throttle Issue

tangent question = Best way to lube the cable without one of those handy cable lubers?

Simple way is to unhook cables at throttle and wrap small baggy tightly (use rubber band, etc) filled with favorite lube. Hang unside down and lube will work it's way down. Stop when lube starts dripping out from other end.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2008 13:50 #194250 by Afrosemite
So the cables already had some slack in them. I haven't lubed the cable yet but I am starting to be worried that the cable isn't the problem.

Sometimes if I just barely tap the throttle and pull in the clutch it will just rev up real high. I can get it to stop by popping the throttle a time or two but it does it often. A couple of times at stop lights I have just turned it off to keep from over-reving right there at the light. Get's real annoying with the "cruise control" effect too.
It was fine about a week ago but it's been doing this the last two days.

I absolutely don't have the money to rebuild these carbs so somebody tell me it's something else :(

Post edited by: Afrosemite, at: 2008/02/12 17:24

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
12 Feb 2008 14:27 #194260 by Bluemeanie
Try this, unhook BOTH cables from the carbs and start it up. If problem goes away you know it's the cables. If it's still there then start looking (with engine off) at throttle operation, something might show up.

More
12 Feb 2008 14:59 #194268 by Afrosemite
well, I may have fixed it?
I panicked and went to my old method of "spray WD40" on everything. Down the cables, on the linkages, really anything that looked like it moved, could move, or could be motivated to move.

Now it snaps back closed quite loudly (the carbs) and the problem seems to have stopped. We'll see if it stays fixed . . .

\'78 Kz650d sr

More
12 Feb 2008 17:05 #194283 by Bluemeanie
I'll bet the cables were binding, try the baggie method because WD40 will evaporate and not leave enough lube behind.

More
13 Feb 2008 05:07 #194355 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Throttle Issue
use just about anything but wd 40, it was made to be a water displacement hence WD not a oil

Post edited by: BSKZ650, at: 2008/02/13 08:07

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob