Air cleaner

More
03 Feb 2008 19:47 #192655 by route66paul
Air cleaner was created by route66paul
I have a KZ750B and I am chopping it. I have considered going to a single carb or using a sportster style filter (large oval) and mod a backing plate to fit like the airbox. At least this should have an even CFM on each carb. Please tell me what is wrong with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2008 16:28 #192776 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Air cleaner
What's wrong is that bikes are pretty highly tuned to begin with and screwing with the intake resonance generally will result in worse performance unless the system is specifically tuned to the engine.

I have a 750B and kept the stock airbox. The Kerker style header I used to run did increase the HP a bit, the MAC header I have now performs pretty much like stock except the gas mileage is worse.

Look at the posts about installing "pod" air filters and you will probebly change your mind about dumping the stock airbox.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Feb 2008 16:34 #192777 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Air cleaner
I agree, some guys here love pod filters and have no problems. However, I have heard horror stories about getting proper jetting to work. Plus you have to deal with high/low pressure areas around pods while at speed, plus there is the H20 factor also. I run the stock air box with a K&N with a Kerker and bike runs awesome up to redline plus! Just my .02... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!