Carbs draining fuel

More
29 Jan 2008 14:55 #191693 by uptohere
Carbs draining fuel was created by uptohere
This is my first bike, I'm not a mechanic, but quite handy. My 78 kz650 has 13,000km and I have 3 questions. One of the carb drain hoses pours a great deal of fuel- enough that I ran out of gas. Is this a float issue and should I attempt to fix (Is it a difficult job) or should I take it in to an expert?

Secondly, I have yet to find an actual manual(the previous owner can't find) so I'm confused about the petcock. Mine says PRI, ON, and RES. I'm assuming PRI is for cold starts, On is for general starts, and RES is for getting to the gas station. The question is this: Is there an "off" position, or a position I should have the valve when the bike is parked?

Third question: the kick start does not seem to have a great deal of pressure against it when I try and engage-doesn't seem to work what could be wrong?

Thanks

Post edited by: uptohere, at: 2008/01/29 17:59

Post edited by: uptohere, at: 2008/01/29 18:09
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2008 15:03 #191695 by gorack
Replied by gorack on topic Carbs draining fuel
leave it in the on position when parked the on should not flow fuel when the engine is not running it operates on intake vacumm. use the primary for when it has not been run for a while it will flow with engine on or off

More
29 Jan 2008 15:12 #191698 by uptohere
Replied by uptohere on topic Carbs draining fuel
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the Petcock was original or not. So if I were to leave it on PRI it may cause fuel to grain from carbs or is that another problem?

More
29 Jan 2008 17:03 #191716 by Philip Meaney
Replied by Philip Meaney on topic Carbs draining fuel
If you are trying to kick it over with it in gear and the clutch in, the kick starter won't work. Needs to be in neutral with the clutch out.

If you do a search on this site, you should find an electronic version of the service manual (PDF)for your bike. That might help you figure out if you want to start pulling carbeuretors off to clean needles and seats.

Phil

80 750 H1
85 750 Turbo
84 GPz 750