1980 kz440 ltd cleaned carbs twice anc still running on one cylinder

• riatvriderwd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jan 2008 10:21 #189922 by riatvriderwd
Hey guys im new here,
I have a kz440 that i bought a while ago and put a ton of new parts on it but always had trouble with it when it came to running. FINALLy got it running but its only on the left cylinder. The right for some reason isnt getting gas(i know its getting spark) The mixture screw is set at 1 3/4 like the manual says. Now let me mention 2 problems i have:
1. I dont have an air filter on it because its missing the "cap" that goes over the battery where the air filter sits-no idea where to find one have searched everywhere so i know it might be running lean.
2.the diaphragms had tears in them, i repaired them with some liquid gasket which has held up awesome.
(diaphragms are to expensive for me 100 each)

Now i dont understand why the right carb is not getting fuel, if the left will run then the right should(i cleaned them 4 times since i owned it). I put gas in the cylinder but i cant tell if it runs for a couple seconds because the left also runs.

I tested compression in it-i had gotten about 75-i put heavyweight oil in and got 120
so i thought thats it needs rings but then couple days later i check it multiple times and its still at 120 so i dont know if that first reading was fals or what-thought i would mention it
BRAND NEW SPARK PLUGS

Any help is appreciated. Im about to spend the 45 bucks on rebuild kits and hope that will cure it
Are these good rebuild kits?
heres the link if the picture doesnt work
www.siriusconinc.com/carb/parts.asp#
its a keyster carb rebuild kit

PS also when it is running, which is on only one cylinder, when i twist the trottle and release it it races up and then finally slows and its also idling very high and my idle is as low as it can go(possibly the no air filter thing?) any input would help on this also thanks guys

Post edited by: riatvriderwd, at: 2008/01/18 13:28

Post edited by: riatvriderwd, at: 2008/01/18 13:44
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2008 15:16 #189978 by bountyhunter
Bike engines will run terrible without the air filter, but I wonder how you are sure the right side is not running at all or just running badly?

Did you try taking the drain screw out of the "dry" side to see if fuel is getting into the bowl?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• riatvriderwd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jan 2008 13:28 #190369 by riatvriderwd
i know the right side isnt running because the exhaust is barely warm-mainly warm because other cylinder is running. I do get gas to the bowl cuz it comes out the drain. I cleaned them 4 times so far and i dont know why its not getting into the cylinder. I got very strong blue looking spark ..not sure what to do at this point.

• riatvriderwd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jan 2008 13:28 #190370 by riatvriderwd
i know the right side isnt running because the exhaust is barely warm-mainly warm because other cylinder is running. I do get gas to the bowl cuz it comes out the drain. I cleaned them 4 times so far and i dont know why its not getting into the cylinder. I got very strong blue looking spark ..not sure what to do at this point.

More
21 Jan 2008 13:55 #190376 by BSKZ650
have you checked the compression in that cyl, which would lead to the valves next if its low

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Jan 2008 14:35 #190378 by flht1997
the air filter will have little effect on the bike running when not moving, or moving for that matter.
for now i would say move on to other systems and leave the carbs alone for awhile. check your valve clearance first. then check voltage at the coil and check for spark on both sides. replacing plug caps may not be a bad idea right now also.
dont worry about the air filter right now, i have run 400/440's with every combination, ie. stock, pods, none, brillo pads, and even socks and rubber bands and they always run the same. sometimes at speed cross winds can mess with the CV slides a bit but nothing terrible.
also your days will be numbered with the repaired diaphrams. not right away but i would guess 2 years or so, at least from my experiance, cause i have tried about every patch or goo avalible to repair them.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

• riatvriderwd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jan 2008 16:46 #190392 by riatvriderwd
alright thank you guys. ill check all that and get back to you. i did check valve clearences about 6 months ago and they were fine but i guess i should check again.