Pods

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2008 12:47 #188884 by violentvintagecycles
Pods was created by violentvintagecycles
Hey guys.. Have an 82 kz550 a3, looking to get a set of pod filters. First, its a set of tk carbs, what is the correct size im looking for in MM? 39?
Second, I see lots of different pods on ebay, any recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jan 2008 05:53 #189187 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Pods
Anyone?... Goin once...

More
14 Jan 2008 11:24 #189225 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Pods
I can't tell you what size but measure the outside diameter and you'll know. The pods on ebay have not done well according to some members here. They are not the million mile cleanable ones as K&N. You can buy them and replace as needed or if you have the bucks I would buy genuine K&N's! ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
14 Jan 2008 19:03 #189310 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Pods
K&N all the way !
Some of the cheaper pods will cover intake holes on the air side of some carbs. Something you wont find out until you buy.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
15 Jan 2008 07:51 #189399 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Pods
JR, First, you are talking about Emgo pods... the rubber lip doesn't seem to sit flush enough on the airjets on the edge of a carb's venturi to block off airflow. I test using Emgo pods routinely and use three different sizes and none seem to block airflow to the air jets. I use 54mm, 42mm and 39mm depending on carb type.

Next, as far as whether Emgo or K&N are better... this is not as straight forward as it seems. Say a person rides ONLY during the summer and does about 1K miles. He might be able to go over 5 years with the Emgos on his bike. While the K&N filters are life-time warrantied, they are also about 5 times more expensive so the person would have to have them on his bike for 25 years to break even. They don't seem to be a great idea from the standpoint of economy in this case. As far as their filtering, dunno... I have seen their tests but have little faith in self testing. I do know that Emgo pods when new and K&Ns when properly oiled flow air about the same and thus need the same jetting. If I were buying pods, I guess I would consider how many miles I rode a year and in what conditions to evaluate which type pod would be most economical. If you go 5K miles (or higher) a summer, the K&Ns start to look a lot better. And before anyone starts sniffing at the low mileages I used as examples, look at the average mileage for any used 30 year old KZ... almost always between 10-30K miles so I think the examples are sort of valid although some folks will obviously put a lot more miles on. I PERSONALLY don't care for pods and use a Z1 airbox on my 79 shafty with a K&N drop in filter. This filter a A LOT more economical than using stockers since you can pick one up for under $20 and the paper stocker is about that.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jan 2008 09:09 #189413 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Pods
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.. So its all a matter of economics? Well, on my budget it will definetely have to be the emgos..The ones i see on ebay however, are they emgo's or flat out no-name brands? They range in price to 35-55$.. And what size would i be looking for WG, 39mm?