Crazy Idle

More
06 Jan 2008 22:17 #188066 by BeaterCycle
Crazy Idle was created by BeaterCycle
Hey everyone...im new to motorcycle mechanics and just got a 79 KZ650 for free in semi decent condition.

I threw a new battery and some fresh gas in it for starters and it fired up...but theres a few problems..

It only wants to run with the choke all the way on and when it is running and you give it a little throttle it takes waaay off and sometimes the idle wont come back down...

I got it running good enough to take it down the street and back, and it did okay in first but as soon as i shift into second it doesnt want to let me give it any gas...it just stumbles until i release the throttle..

Im thinking i just need to rebuild the carbs...like maybe something is sticking in there as the bike has been sitting for a while...but im not too savvy on carb problems...

Any ideas?

Thanks!:cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2008 03:07 #188075 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Crazy Idle
if the rubber intake runners/carb holders are cracked they can suck in air and produce these symptoms.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
07 Jan 2008 06:33 #188105 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Crazy Idle
How long has it been sitting? Carbs could be way plugged up. Little more history on the bike please. :cheer:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
07 Jan 2008 19:33 #188204 by BeaterCycle
Replied by BeaterCycle on topic Crazy Idle
Well...I know its been sitting for at least 3-4 months for sure...thats when my friend got ahold of it...but before that im not sure...but the registration is from 97 so i can only assume that was the last time it was on the road.

And i looked around on some other topics while waiting for responses and found some similar questions so i went and checked out the intake boots and found some electrical tape wrapped around them....so thats probably problem #1...and im betting the carbs are pretty plugged up...

Now im trying to decide whether to rebuild them myself or to pick up one of WG's shiny new sets....hmmmm:blink: