good idle, no throttle response

More
03 Jan 2008 19:00 #187572 by dsrtlcky13
good idle, no throttle response was created by dsrtlcky13
New here and need help. I purchased a 1982 kz440 a few months ago. When bought, it didn't idle right. So I took the carbs apart and found a clogged slow jet. Replaced it and now it idles great, but as soon as I give it gas it "boggs" down and comes close to stalling. If I slowly, very slowly roll on the throttle it is all right. This is all under no load. The problem is only slighly worse when under a load. The only mod is "UNI" pod filters. I have been visiting this site for a while and have read some other questions similiar to mine. I replaced the battery, spark plugs, plug wires. Cleaned the inside of the fuel tank, petcock and internal filter. If anyone can tell me the proper float level that would also be helpful.

Post edited by: dsrtlcky13, at: 2008/01/03 22:01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2008 11:34 #187649 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic good idle, no throttle response
Let's suppose that carburetion is the cause of your performance woes. Not saying it is for sure; could be timing or air leaks (bad carb holders, bad emissions system components, etc) or other things, but say it is the carburetors. The symptoms you describe could be a lean condition. Your UNI pod filters flow more air than the stock airbox/filter and you have leaned your air/fuel mixture. The area where this is showing up is off idle response. Turn your mixture screws to about 2 3/4 turns out from lightly seated to start. Ideally, you should rejet. Not sure what model KZ440 you have so I can't recommend specific rejet specs. You might want to put your model in your signature... is it a KZ440A/B/C/D, I am no expert on the 440 line but they do use two different carb assemblies (that is, they are jetted differently). Since there are no new pilot jets, the thing to do is adjust your idle mixture with the mixture screws and put in larger Primary Main Jets which also affect the off-idle transition... these vary depending on your model. I also suspect you won't be able to pull redline with the pod air filters unless you use some larger Secondary main jets.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Jan 2008 17:18 #187680 by dsrtlcky13
Replied by dsrtlcky13 on topic good idle, no throttle response
WG I was hoping you would reply. I have sprayed WD-40 around the carb boots to check for air leaks, and My Father is sending my timing gun to my house. As soon as it gets here I will check the timing. Now to sound like an idiot. I cannot find any air/fuel mixture screws. The only external adjustment that can be made as far as I can tell is the idle. The bike, to the best of my knowledge is a 440 D4 (1982 KZ440 LTD with belt drive) The carbs are CV type. When I spray air in the top port of the air intake side (sorry don't know tech name for it) the diaphrams do compress.

I took the pod filters off and mostly covered both carbs with my hand. I then gave the throttle a quick turn and found the response a lot more crisp. I would put the stock air filter assembly back on but the problem was evident with that on too.