Cold GPZ starting problems

More
27 Dec 2007 20:16 #186650 by Dirtbiker
Cold GPZ starting problems was created by Dirtbiker
hello
I have a 1982 gpz 750 with a 4 into 1 pipe
uni individual filters and a BIG problem
When the bike is hot it runs GREAT ! lots of power everyplace and is starts as fast as I can hit the button

when cold it just wont start... I can push and push and push start it but im getting to old and fat to push all the time
If I heat up the cyl with a heat gun or use a propane torch until all is warm then push start it will run on 2 /3 and finnaly all 4 pistons light up
i have pulled and cleaned the carbs at least a dozen times and as for jetting .... errrr Well I opened up the mains with a small file .. and I cut 3 coils out of the slide spring ... I Know that is a bad thing BUT When The bike is Hot IT HAULS ASS and is Perfect
the carbs are mukunis Any Ideas? Oh ya the choke does no good and only makes things worse / hot or cold .. when I use it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2007 13:52 #186756 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Cold GPZ starting problems
if the choke makes it worse it sounds like its already to rich.or have you checked the voltage going to the coils from the switch.should be 12.5 min.or could be other problems in the ignition.

More
28 Dec 2007 18:21 #186785 by Dirtbiker
Replied by Dirtbiker on topic Cold GPZ starting problems
You would think rich true.. But the plugs are bone dry
as far as the coils ,, whatever voltage is at the battary is at the coils ... No drop at all .. I tryed feeding it 15v ... no change It is driving me insane . hehe

More
29 Dec 2007 23:49 #186902 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Cold GPZ starting problems
sounds like the butterflys inside the carbs may be open too much when starting. Don't give it any throttle. What does it idle at when it starts would help. If it needs more fuel it could be the circiuts are plugged or else the throttle angle isn't set right. Check for any vac leaks also. The cylinder that aren't firing probably aren't getting gas. I like the idea that you fed the motor with more gas, that's brilliant! If the carbs have a slow fuel jet i'd be opening that up some. Just make sure the passages are clean first. And the butterfly's are darn near closed before starting. The increased vac. will pull in more fuel.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2007/12/30 02:53

More
30 Dec 2007 09:28 #186933 by Dirtbiker
ok .. well before I do anything else Im going to take the bike to cycle city today and put it on there dyno.
reson: it runs so well and has so much power (for a 750) when hot that I want to see the numbers
then I will have to buy some bigger piolet jets and try that I guess? also .. I just got some mercury for my carb stix last nite and Im going to check sync... Im sure that is not the problem but I will try anything at this point.... Anything Except messing up the wheelie power I currently have ...... the dyno should tell me somfin eh ? :) stay tuned ..... Thanks

More
01 Jan 2008 11:33 #187225 by Dirtbiker
Pee My Pants SCARY !!!
On the way to the dyno , just leaving the gas station I
clicked 2nd gear and heard a BANG !
The master link on my brand new RK chain failed and wadded up the chain on top of the swingarm...
no real damage done but the thought of this .
I was just about to hit the freeway and insted of it happening at 20mph ... I was about to tuck down and go 120mph... Might have been a VERY bad one

Keep an eye on your chains guys :)
p.s you would think a 630 chain would be hard to break eh ? :))

More
02 Jan 2008 06:25 #187351 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Cold GPZ starting problems
Sounds like you ruined the main jets and don't really have the bike jetted correctly. Also would recommend cleaning the enrichener circuit (choke circuit). You may have had the carbs off but I doubt the choke circuit was cleaned properly. After cleaning, install some #40 pilot jets and use some NEW #140 main jets and keep the file for your fingernails.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!