Help with carb I.D. and question

More
20 Dec 2007 11:35 #185848 by brokenrod
Help with carb I.D. and question was created by brokenrod
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 1981 GPZ1100 that has been converted to carbs. the bike is currently not running yet, but i have a question about whether or not the carbs are sufficient enough for this bike. i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/brokenrod1/bike009.jpg i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/brokenrod1/bike008.jpg I know that they are mikunis, but thats it.i was told that they are 32mm, the throat measures between 33 and 34m (dont have calipers, just a ruler), main jets are 122.5, pilot jets are 37.5, and jet needle is 5flz49. These carbs look different and are jetted different than my bs34's that were on my csr1000 mainly because of the cover held on by 3 screws on the left side of carbs. the bike has v&h 4 into 1, and pods. should i rebuild these guys, or use the bs34's. if i left anything out, dont hesitate to ask questions as i will probably have more too. and forgive my ignorance at posting pics- in my 15 yrs of using a computer, i never learned how to do it.
Thanks
John

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it...
1981 GPZ1100, 1981 kz1000m1(csr), 1979 suzuki gs425

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2007 06:18 #185925 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help with carb I.D. and question
Those are BS34 Mikuni carbs. I suspect they are off an 81-83 KZ1000J. The things on the sides are AIR CUT OFF VALVES. There are diaphragms under those covers and if the diaphragms are bad, the bike will backfire quite a bit when you decellerate. They tend to stay in decent shape but if someone has gotten carb cleaner in there, they may not be. You can remove the one on the outside carb... be careful there is a spring under the diaprhagm. Check it out and if it looks OK, the others are probably OK. You can't remove them while the assembly is in one piece.

The jetting is stock that you have. For the pods and 4 into 1, use some #40 pilot jets and #142.5 main jets and you will be VERY close to jetted just right. With the stock jetting, the bike will be hard to start and WILL NOT pull redline.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Dec 2007 17:04 #185989 by brokenrod
Replied by brokenrod on topic Help with carb I.D. and question
Thanks alot for the reply WG. i dont post much, but consider you like a guru of carbs. i need to buy a valve cover gasket, exhaust gaskets, and jets so hopefully by monday morn. i'll have it running.
Thanks again
John

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it...
1981 GPZ1100, 1981 kz1000m1(csr), 1979 suzuki gs425