Where is the idle mixture?

More
17 Dec 2007 06:39 #185415 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Where is the idle mixture?
The picture shows the air screws on a VM29 and the synch screw and lock screw on the top. The info on the Z1Enterprises.com website for setting up 29s comes from Sudco's site and I suspect they got it from Mikuni. In my personal experience it isn't very useful but does give the baseline settings that come on the carbs from the factory. I personally like to use #17.5 pilot jets on the 29 and turn the air screws out anywhere from 0 turns out (that is they are lightly seated) to 1/4 turn out. This produces a consistent and steady idle. If you use larger pilot jets, you need to turn the air screws out farther.

The sync mechanisms must be unlocked by loosening the slotted lock screws (with hex head) on the engine side of the assembly, Then you loosen the locknuts on the sync screws (toward rear of bike) and sync as normal. Then you tighten the lock screws in the front and then tighten down the locknuts on the sync screws. The sync and lock screws are both fairly short and don't use lock washers so there is a metal tab that needs to be bent up to provide mechanical lock. These screws do tend to vibrate loose so don't neglect to use the metal tab to lock both screws on each carb.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2007 07:07 #185418 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Where is the idle mixture?
wiredgeorge wrote:

... The sync mechanisms must be unlocked by loosening the slotted lock screws (with hex head) on the engine side of the assembly, Then you loosen the locknuts on the sync screws (toward rear of bike) and sync as normal. Then you tighten the lock screws in the front and then tighten down the locknuts on the sync screws....

Thanks wg, especially for pointing out that locknuts on the sync screws should be tightened after tightening the lock screws in the front. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.