Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Dec 2007 13:36 #184446 by JimatMilkyWay
Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ? was created by JimatMilkyWay
Well youse guys
My fire breathin' monster ran out of gas yesterday. I was out just putzing around real easy, well, sort of. When it, sort of "ran out of gas" I stopped, opened the cap and "sealed my mouth" on the fill hole such that I could pressurize it and help the fuel to fill the bowls. I wonder, if I connect a air compressor to it and put five psi (or so) pressure in/on my fuel tank all the time if it would cause a problem, like fuel leak or cracked paint job. The problem with the fuel pump idea I discussed in my previous thread, kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/id,183021/catid,3/ is that I don't want to lose the oem vacuum petcock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
10 Dec 2007 14:24 #184449 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
So, I'm not sure if I follow you. Are saying that you WERE low on gas? Or are you having petcock flow problems?

If very low on gas, you can sometimes "squeeze" the last few drops of petrol out by leaning the bike to the left (while stopped :whistle:) so that the gas from the right side can flow over to the petcock. Be careful not to dump your bike while trying this. :pinch:

West Linn, OR

More
10 Dec 2007 19:25 #184499 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

...if I connect a air compressor to it and put five psi (or so) pressure in/on my fuel tank all the time ...

You're gonna need one really long air hose!:P

I think the vent would do it's job and vent the pressure.

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Dec 2007 10:54 #184578 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
79MKII wrote:

JimatMilkyWay wrote:

...if I connect a air compressor to it and put five psi (or so) pressure in/on my fuel tank all the time ...

You're gonna need one really long air hose!:P

I already thought about that. I was going to make a special adapter and plumb my gas tank to my front tire, but then I realized the _back_ tire holds more air.

I think the vent would do it's job and vent the pressure.

Easy enough to defeat. I really would like you guys to give this some thought and tell me what would be the best and the cleanest way to plump it in so that I can reverse it when I am done.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/12/11 13:56

More
11 Dec 2007 12:13 #184583 by School Teacher
Replied by School Teacher on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
put an air horn on your bike and use the pump for that?

just an idea:)

1976 kz900 in parts but will be going some day soon
1980 kz1000G1
1976 kz900 parts bike
1979 kz1000 shaftie parts bike
1978 kz1000 33mm smoothies 1075 kit
Troutdale Oregon USA

More
11 Dec 2007 12:46 #184584 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
I am not sure the needles and seats could take that kind of pressure and still seal when needed, the are meat to work on a gravity feed wich is alomst no pressure

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Dec 2007 12:49 #184585 by JimatMilkyWay
School Teacher wrote:

put an air horn on your bike and use the pump for that?

just an idea:)

Perfect!! Thanks teach!
I'm just glad I thought of that!:laugh: :laugh:
I'm thinking to plumb in a low pressure gauge so I can report on exactly what-is-what, so to speak.
As stated previously I was pressurizing the tank out on the road so I could make it back home. Well, I did so while idling and the engine actually changed rpm when I was squeezing on the air. I was not interested in any _careful_ observations at the time. There will be plenty of opportunity for that a little later. I just thought it was interesting.

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Dec 2007 20:13 #184655 by JimatMilkyWay
Skyman wrote:

So, I'm not sure if I follow you. Are saying that you WERE low on gas? .... :pinch:

Thanks Skyman; I had over half a tank; WELL over half, but they will still run out if the fuel is not making it into the float bowls.

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Dec 2007 20:24 #184659 by JimatMilkyWay
BSKZ650 wrote:

I am not sure the needles and seats could take that kind of pressure and still seal when needed, the are meat to work on a gravity feed wich is alomst no pressure

Thanks dude
I understand the original engineering calls for gravity feed, but you know how some people just can _NOT_ resist re-engineering EVERYTHING.
I feel that a major improvement could be realized if done correctly and I would still have use of good paper element filters instead of sintered, scentered, centered well what ever, brass bb screens. Or possibly I just don't trust the bb's because I have never investigated them. I have, however observed for thirty years how a good fuel filter can keep crapola out of the engine and carbs.
Jim@MilkyWay

More
11 Dec 2007 20:27 #184660 by School Teacher
Replied by School Teacher on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
are you running inline filters?

1976 kz900 in parts but will be going some day soon
1980 kz1000G1
1976 kz900 parts bike
1979 kz1000 shaftie parts bike
1978 kz1000 33mm smoothies 1075 kit
Troutdale Oregon USA

• JimatMilkyWay
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Dec 2007 21:38 #184670 by JimatMilkyWay
School Teacher wrote:

are you running inline filters?

Yes, tucked in under the frame and back of the carbs are two bulky in-line paper units. One for each supply line from petcock. Then, in each carb supply line, viz 4 each, are those little disposable, sintered brass jobbies. They are all brand new with less than 300 miles ride time and a very clean and freshly coated(?),,, remember I came up with this idea myself, fuel tank.

More
12 Dec 2007 00:54 #184678 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ever used an air pump on the gas tank ?
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

Well youse guys
When it, sort of "ran out of gas" I stopped, opened the cap and "sealed my mouth" on the fill hole such that I could pressurize it and help the fuel to fill the bowls.

Ha ha, I've had to do this a couple times over the summer myself until I replaced the filters. :)

My friend had to do it to his KZ400 when his filter suffered the same problems as mine.

... and yes, I've heard all of the "blowing the bike" jokes so let it go... :laugh:

But if you have the brass filters, then I have to agree with RetroRiceRocketRider. It's probably the tank coating you did. It is somehow dissolving and plugging the filters. You may have to bite the bullet and get a new tank (or petcock if it's the petcock screen that's getting sealed).