stopping and stalling

More
08 Dec 2007 00:39 #184188 by dodak1967
stopping and stalling was created by dodak1967
I have a 1980 KZ 1000 LTD. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the vacuum hoses and the air bleed hoses. Now when the engine heats up during my commute to work or on a weekend ride the engine wants to stall at idle shortly after comming to a stop. It will start up right away at the touch of the starter button. It will run fine between stops. However when you make your next stop and let it idle after a few seconds it stalls out. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2007 09:11 #184217 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic stopping and stalling
When was the last time the valve-clearances were checked?

More
10 Dec 2007 09:28 #184419 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic stopping and stalling
What is an air bleed hose?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Dec 2007 09:41 #184424 by dodak1967
Replied by dodak1967 on topic stopping and stalling
On my ltd there are two air bleed hoses that connect to two of the carbs and run back to and connect with the air box. I have noticed that not all kz and ltds' have these hoses.

More
10 Dec 2007 09:52 #184425 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic stopping and stalling
I believe those are bowl vent hoses... "air bleed" is a term used to describe the air jet for either the pilot or main circuit. I was a tad confused by your use of air bleed.

Loudhvx asked about your valve clearances. The reason he asked as lack of valve clearance on one or more valves will cause the situation you describe. They tend to close up a tad when the bike warms. If valves don't open then the bike will die.

There are other reasons for the stalling/dying. In addition to the valve clearances, I would check ignition advance function. You will have to use a timing light to see the advance advance when the RPMs rise then return to its non-advanced state when the RPMS fall.

Your carburetors may not be getting gas. This can be for a variety of reasons.
1. obstructed fuel filter
2. faulty petcock or lack of vacuum to the petock (perhaps the integrity of the hose connection is compromised?)
3. carbs hooked up incorrectly (vent hoses obstructed?)
4. gas cap venting plugged and a vacuum sets up in the tank

There are probably other issues that can cause your symptoms but the ones I noted are the most likely that come to mind.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!