KZ440 Carb Questions

More
01 Dec 2007 14:39 #183391 by EasyRider1
KZ440 Carb Questions was created by EasyRider1
I just got an '81 KZ440 yesterday and while driving it today I was unsure as to how to use the settings.

I had the switch on pri (primary? Prime?)which made lots of fuel leak out of the overflow hoses coming out of the carbs. I also noticed that there was some fuel leaking out of the side of one of the carbs.

Do I leave the "fuel" switch on "on" basically all the time? What is the purpose of the "pri" and "res" settings?

Also, how should the choke be used? Just to start up and the all the way off when driving?

Please help a newbie

1978 KZ650C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
01 Dec 2007 15:40 #183408 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic KZ440 Carb Questions
I did a quick search and found THIS RECENT THREAD with a good response.

Yeah, you clearly have some gummed up float jets or something, it shouldn't overflow like that.

And right, choke is for starting only. Cold starting only, in fact. If you need it to run normally, you have other problems....

As always, I recommend you buy (or download from kz400.com) a Kawasaki service manual... you can find print copies on eBay, or direct from Kawasaki. Failing that, get a Clymer manual for your bike...

Enjoy! And welcome to the forum...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
01 Dec 2007 17:16 #183421 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic KZ440 Carb Questions
Thanks a lot Biquetoast. I ordered a service manual that should be here soon and I think you are right, I will probably have those carbs checked out anyway. How hard is it to rebuild a carb (with one of the kits)? Is there anything that would require professional tools/skills?

My engine runs best with the choke lever just a little bit up, is that bad?

Post edited by: EasyRider1, at: 2007/12/01 20:17

1978 KZ650C

More
01 Dec 2007 18:02 #183424 by MadKaw500
Replied by MadKaw500 on topic KZ440 Carb Questions
not that hard to re-do a carb. most likely just needs cleaned. no special tools, just a cleaning process. there are plenty of instructionals. just do some searching with the search function at the top of the forum page. you can do it;)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
01 Dec 2007 18:11 #183427 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic KZ440 Carb Questions
EasyRider1 wrote:

...How hard is it to rebuild a carb (with one of the kits)?

You might not need a kit. You should just take off the bowls, make sure there's no gunk in there, or old gummed up fuel. All I've ever needed are repacement float valves and bowl gaskets/o-rings, which I've purchased from z1enterprises.com (though my models are different from yours).

Is there anything that would require professional tools/skills?

You'll need metric wrenches eventually, and a set of screwdrivers... and over time you'll find you'll need more stuff, but not right now for this kind of carb work. Maybe a carb balancer, but there have been many descriptions in this forum on how to make one cheaply, or you can spend up to $150 for one.... and a timing light... that should get you started...

My engine runs best with the choke lever just a little bit up, is that bad?...

Yeah... that probably means it is gummed up. I have become a believer in Seafoam fuel additive to get into parts of the carbs where you can't to clean. Maybe when you clean out the bowls and such, get yourself a can of Seafoam (from Autozone or whatever) and run half a can through with a full tank of gas. Of course, you should also follow all the tune-up steps outlined in the manuals, since you probably don't know when they were last done. Assume nothing...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
02 Dec 2007 15:33 #183543 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic KZ440 Carb Questions
Well, I took the carbs apart today and took everything apart expecting some nastiness but when I opened them up they were actually pretty darn clean. The Choke lever and throttle lever seem to be working correctly.

There was a little fuel in there but I figured as much since I flooded it the other day:blink: .

I also noticed that the little rubber skirt gasket on the top inside of the carbs had a few tiny holes in it near the edges.

If my carbs are clean, then what else could be going on?

What my next step to give this thing a tune up? Change the oil? It has new spark plugs. Help me out folks.

Post edited by: EasyRider1, at: 2007/12/02 18:34

1978 KZ650C