carb gasket material

More
25 Nov 2007 20:22 #182674 by fishybass
carb gasket material was created by fishybass
Hi all,

I am in the process of cleaning my carbs. They were stripped down, made shiny and now I'm reassembling them. Not wanting to dump $100 on a set of carb rebuild kits, I am taking the do-it yourselfer way out and making new gaskets.

Under the carb covers I used treated paper.

But the gaskets for my float bowls were so fubar I cannot tell... were they paper, rubber, or something else all together? It looks like it could be paper but it surprises me that paper gaskets held up so well for 25000 miles.

If they weren't paper... would paper gaskets work for float bowls?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
25 Nov 2007 21:04 #182678 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic carb gasket material
The last time i replaced the carb gaskets in my bike, i took the old ones and traced out the pattern on a peice of a ceral box. It has worked well for me for about 3000 non leaking miles. It takes a bit of concentration but it can be done.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
26 Nov 2007 05:25 #182693 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic carb gasket material
I believe they are a type of cork. You can purchase just the bowl gaskets.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2007 16:58 #182761 by i800phyco
Replied by i800phyco on topic carb gasket material
I've used plain old gasket paper in the past, you can get it at most auto parts stores.

Ham lake, MN.
77&78 KZ1000A's
A nice 79 1000LTD
And a pile 80 1000LTD
Plus a few others.

More
26 Nov 2007 23:34 #182810 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic carb gasket material
Most KZ550 A, C and D models use TK-22 carbs. The gasket is just paper. I put a super-thin layer of silver anti-sieze on the gaskets and they can be reused dozens of times. They are easy to make too. Make sure the float levels are right, after you re-build them. That also helps prevent leaks.

More
27 Nov 2007 07:17 #182829 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic carb gasket material
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Gasket paper it is!

More
27 Nov 2007 10:19 #182851 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic carb gasket material
loudhvx wrote:

Most KZ550 A, C and D models use TK-22 carbs. The gasket is just paper. I put a super-thin layer of silver anti-sieze on the gaskets and they can be reused dozens of times. They are easy to make too. Make sure the float levels are right, after you re-build them. That also helps prevent leaks.

Would the anti-seize work on valve cover gaskets? I seem to get two removals of a gasket before it tears...:huh:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
27 Nov 2007 11:36 #182855 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic carb gasket material
OKC_Kent wrote:

loudhvx wrote:

Would the anti-seize work on valve cover gaskets? I seem to get two removals of a gasket before it tears...:huh:

I use it on valve cover gaskets too. It prevents tears, but it's really because I hate scraping gaskets! I usually only use a gasket once or twice on the valve cover. I find after a few re-torques it's hard to get it to line up just right to seal. The surfaces have to be perfectly clean or it won't seal. I usually finish the surfaces to a polish with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper. I haven't had one leak yet, but I may just be lucky. The only place I may use a tiny amount of RTV is right at the cam-end plugs. The most important thing is to make sure and dig out all of the old sealant from the bolt holes. That debris build up and makes it real easy to strip a bolt.

More
27 Nov 2007 17:01 #182890 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic carb gasket material
oldkaws4ever wrote:

The last time i replaced the carb gaskets in my bike, i took the old ones and traced out the pattern on a peice of a ceral box. It has worked well for me for about 3000 non leaking miles. It takes a bit of concentration but it can be done.

this is the same thing i did about 3 years ago...so far, no problems.