Bike popping and bogging down

• greatbeefalo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Nov 2007 15:42 #181229 by greatbeefalo
Bike popping and bogging down was created by greatbeefalo
Alright, this is NOT a KZ, but since Ive spent alot of time on these boards and I know there are a ton of real experts here on carburetors, Im asking you guys.

The bike is a 1993 Honda VT600 Shadow (v twin) that justhad the carbs rebuilt after sitting. It starts up and runs, but if I give it more than a quarter throttle it either stops firing or bogs down and I have to back off the throttle. This happens at all speeds, even at revving at idle. I tried adjusted the idle screw; what else could it be? Carb synchronization?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2007 15:58 #181233 by howard8414
Replied by howard8414 on topic Bike popping and bogging down
Hi,

I am by no means an expert so definately double check me. When I've asked the gurus on the forum about this on my bike the response is that the mixture is too lean. On my bike you can adjust the air screws (in to richen, out to lean) and also adjust the needle jet inside the carb by moving it up or down on the throttle body.

If everything else checks out (i.e. electrical, timing, etc.) that's where I would focus.

More
15 Nov 2007 16:02 #181234 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Bike popping and bogging down
sounds like it is running out of fuel. Could be fuel filter, petcock plugged, screen on the petcock plugged, float levels to low, anything in the fuel system that will keep the carbs from filling and staying filled as you run it.
If it has cv carbs, the ones with the diaghrams under the top cover, they could have pin holes in them, not allowing the needles to by raised in the jets.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
15 Nov 2007 16:06 #181235 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Bike popping and bogging down
I agree, sounds like not enough gas. I'm sure you hear it all the time here, in the process of cleaning your carbs it's possible you didn't get them clean (tiny holes, etc) enough. Sounds like you get an initial shot of gas but nothing after that, seen it on older cars with carbs all the time. Just my thought... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• greatbeefalo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Nov 2007 16:17 #181238 by greatbeefalo
Replied by greatbeefalo on topic Bike popping and bogging down
Thanks for the help guys. I didnt do the rebuild myself (even though I SHOULD have), a local shop here did it. The Honda dealership recommended the guy; is there a way to check the diaphragm for holes without taking the carb apart?

More
16 Nov 2007 06:38 #181309 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bike popping and bogging down
Take the bike to the folks who did the rebuild and let them adjust it on the bike.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
17 Nov 2007 06:06 #181435 by jaguar
Replied by jaguar on topic Bike popping and bogging down
Hey, Make sure you have the proper air filter system installed so the pistons will have enough vaccuum to pull up. In other words, put the air filter box back on it. But, while the input throats of the carbs are exposed you can shoot some air (even out of a duster can) into the curved hotdog shaped slot or hole at the top. Use your finger to fill the majority of the gap while the little tube is inserted 1/2" or so. Give it a little shot and watch to see if the piston goes up freely and down when you let off the trigger. If it goes up and down freely and equally (all of them) your diaphrams are prob ok. If there is a difference on one of them, make sure the diaphram is seated properly and has no holes. Question, did you go to free flow air filters from the factory box?