how to remove carb boots?

• NickW900LTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Nick
More
15 Nov 2007 00:43 #181131 by NickW900LTD
how to remove carb boots? was created by NickW900LTD
I have a manual thats doesnt show me how to ake them off, I try to use a screw driver but ii cannot clear any of the carbs to get to the screws holding them in.

What steps am i missing?

Nick

1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)
1977 KZ1000 LTD
1978 KZ1000 A2A

Pierceton, Indiana USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2007 01:54 #181133 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic how to remove carb boots?
Nick:

If you are talking about the boots attached to the cylinders with two screws each, you should remove the carburetor set by loosening the clamps on both sides of the carbs. That's eight clamps. You pull the carbs straight back to pull them out of the carb boots. Then up or down and forward to clear the air filter boots. You should be able to move the carburetors to the side now to get at the cylinder carburetor boots. Most likely the screws on the boots will be corroded and hard to remove. Use some penetrating oil and take your time. Probably need an impact driver. Be careful here as if you break off a screw in the head you will have that to deal with. The process isn't hard it's just that on old bikes the rubber is not pliable like it used to be.

Steve

More
15 Nov 2007 02:05 #181134 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic how to remove carb boots?
You should get them off by opening the clamps and pulling the whole carb rack off. Then you can take off the boots.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...