Throttle Valve Stuck

More
05 Nov 2007 10:14 #179718 by Fratedog
Throttle Valve Stuck was created by Fratedog
Hey guys, I think I saw the answer to this somewhere but for the life of me cannot find it. I am restoring a 1976 KZ900 B1. The throttle would not move so I took the carbs off and found that one of the throttle valves would not move. I have the carb apart and determined that it is the throttle valve itself that is binding in the barrel. I put another valve in the problem carb and it worked fine. Therefore I assume the throttle valve is too big for the barrel. How that happened I have no idea. I cleaned both barrel and valve throughly, there is no corrosion anywhere. Is there someway to reduce the size of the valve very slightly to allow it slide proeperly?

Thanks
Fratedog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2007 13:40 #179742 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Throttle Valve Stuck
When carbs sit, gas goo gets between the bore and throttle valve and they stick. Folks that don't know what they are doing will put a large screwdriver or other pry bar type deal between the bottom of the valve and the venturi and pry upwards. Sometimes the throttle valve will move up and sometimes it will remain stuck. In any case, the bottom edge on throttle valves that don't move freely have been abused in this manner and you can usually see the marks of the abuse. You can sometimes sand down any of the areas that are sticking out and causing the throttle valve to stick in the bore.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Nov 2007 17:13 #179770 by Fratedog
Replied by Fratedog on topic Throttle Valve Stuck
Thanks -- Got it free -- using very generous amounts of colorful language and elbow crease. Then used very fine steel wool to work it down so it would slide. Seems to be free now

Thanks again
Fratedog