starting problems

More
30 Oct 2007 21:41 #178900 by unkleremis
starting problems was created by unkleremis
I just got a 1984 KZ1000 P3 about a week ago. When I got it, I had a little trouble staring it right away but it did start. I rode it home and shut it off. I then started it up right afterwards for a second before shutting it off.

About 30 minutes later I went out run a few errands on the new bike. It wouldn't start. It sounded like it was having trouble firing. I pulled and replaced the spark plugs and wires. Still no luck.

I took it to a shop and the mechanic to have him look at it. He fixed some wiring and called me to say it was done. When I got on the bike and tried to start it, it wouldn't start. The mechanic looked confused and sprayed some starting fluid on the air filter pods, which started it right up. I then headed home, making two short stops on the way. It started easily after each stop.

Once home, I shut it off but started to wonder about whether it would start about a hour later so I went and tried it. Once again, it didn't start. I tried a few things with no luck. Finally I pulled off two air filter and sprayed starter fluid directly in the carbs. This got it started for a few seconds but then it would die again.

My limited research leads me to believe that it may be a problem with fuel not getting to the carbs. What do you all think? Is it a fuel problem? Or is it something else? What can I do to get this bike to start on a regular basis?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2007 06:49 #178932 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic starting problems
Bought an inexpensive OLD bike? Buy a shop manual or Clymers and go through the tune up steps as shown in the bike and perform ALL maintenance items including fluids. If the bike remains hard to start, you likely need to clean the carburetors... the choke and pilot circuits tend to get dirty and since the holes and passageways are SMALL, starting tends to be difficult but your difficulty may just be in the bike needing tuned.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
31 Oct 2007 12:02 #178981 by unkleremis
Replied by unkleremis on topic starting problems
Yeah, I was reading through my Clymer's manual and am going to go through the steps they suggested over the next few days. I also contacted the mechanic who worked on it and he mentioned cleaning the carbs as well. If I can't get it running better in the next few days on my own, I will have it taken back to the shop on Friday.