1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox

More
30 Oct 2007 10:45 #178827 by fishybass
1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox was created by fishybass
I am buying an all-original '80 kz550 this weekend.
I'm so pumped. But, current owner says he thinks it needs a new airbox. This will be my first bike and it has a list of things I already need to do before it is ridden (fun, fun, fun) ;)

I'm looking for opinions on why I should drop $200 on an airbox (assuming I need the whole thing), or why I should drop that same money (or more) on pods.

My gut says stay original and I really want to keep it original. What does your gut say?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2007 11:56 #178836 by terps19
Replied by terps19 on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
Some of the pods are less expensive. I am going to get a set of 4 that fits the KZ750s for around $40. Now you can drop the $180 on 4 pods by K&N but I dont see the point in doing that.

The pods will add anywhere from 1-4 horsepower (thats what they claim) but you might need to rejet the carbs with the pods since the air flow is less restrictive with the pods.

But if you want to keep it o-rig-inal then the airbox would be the only way. Lets see what some others think as well. The airbox just might not be the "best" air filter option.

Good luck with the bike

More
30 Oct 2007 12:03 #178837 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
So what's wrong with the airbox? Unless the PO chopped it up for pods, might not be too hard to fix. Also, that model airbox was used on most of the KZ550's between 1980-83 so you could expand our search.

I'm not sure if it would fit, but if you had some of your airbox left you might try this mod that Kraygh posted:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...,3/id,176461/#176461

I personally like to stay original, but I had to do some minor airbox mods on my KZ400 due to altitude. She kind of gasps for air going uphill at 8000 feet :blink:

More
30 Oct 2007 22:40 #178906 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
The airbox is nice in case of rain. It also gives you a little better midrange power and helps from stoplights especially if you have a passenger.

Pods will give you a little more power on the highway, but only if you jet it right (which will also depend on the exhaust system).

I am going to try the Emgo pods. I hate cleaning the K&N or Uni type. I'll just run the Emgos a couple years and toss them.

More
31 Oct 2007 09:01 #178956 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
It's unclear to me what is wrong with it... I'm sure I'll find out more this weekend. If it is cracked or something silly like that I can think of a million temporary fixes. Nothing some epoxy won't handle.

I am a little concerned about having to rejet the carbs with the switch to pods. I am dumb about bikes, and that might just make my $200 problem much bigger.

Thanks, for the knowledge about the years this airbox was used. I didn't think of that. That should help me in my search for replacement parts, if needed. I have a pretty good yard by me with hundreds of used bikes that I might be able to steal a part from. Hopefully they have my airbox; or there is always ebay.

More
31 Oct 2007 09:18 #178960 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
I like that filter mod!!!
That seems like it could be a winner if I decide to make a change.

These will be basic questions:
What is on the inside of the airbox? Is it literally just a box, or are their baffles and such inside to control the airflow?

On that note... What is the purpose of it?
besides:
1. Filtering the air to the carbs.
2. Settling the airflow so the carbs all get consistent flow characteristics.

Are there others?

More
31 Oct 2007 10:14 #178967 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
I have an airbox off of an 82 kz550a3 in case you decide to go that route. Ill put it on ebay if you want it, just let me know. Although i just noticed it has a crack or 2 around the boots.
Attachments:

More
31 Oct 2007 10:49 #178971 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1980 kz550 A1 needs an airbox
THe box is a box for the most part, but to fit it around the frame, it is not exactly a box shape. The only air direction on the inside is from the small horn-shaped ends of the boots that go from the carbs to the box. They are just pressed in.
There is one wall on the inside of the box with a big hole that the filter outlet presses against. The wall divides the box and the filter is in one half and the above mentioned intake horns are in the other half.

I prefer the box, but if you have to use pods, jetting on those carbs is very straight forward. There is not much involved. Your mains are 92, you would probably put in 96 mains. If the bike is still rough you might change the idle jets from 32 to 35. Luckily those carbs are very simple and pretty plentiful on ebay.

You can get new jets in the rebuild kits, but they would be stock sizes. I don't bother buying larger jets, it's much simpler for me to just drill the old ones, since the rebuild kits come with them.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/31 13:53