KZ1100 carb jetting

More
23 Oct 2007 13:45 #177842 by robowensby
KZ1100 carb jetting was created by robowensby
This is my first post and hopefully some one can give me a hand. I have a 82 KZ1100 shaft. I have a vance and hines 4 into 1 and individual pod filters. When I got the bike I was told it had a 1135 bore kit. It also has a Dyna S ignition. The problem I am running into is jetting the carbs. It has a dynojet kit installed, which consists of 160 mains and adjustable needles. I am trying to get the bike to work right on the low end. The stock jets are 37.5 pilots, and 120 mains. Right now, if the bike is cold, and the pilot screws are turned all the way in until lightly seated, the bike will start and run, and it's running rich. I am trying to get to a point where the pilot screws have any effect. I have tried a variety of different settings and combinations, it seems to be getting fuel from somewhere it shouldn't. The plugs over the pilot jets are installed with good o-rings. The float height is set at 18.4mm. I have dropped all the way back to a 25 pilot jet, 130 main jet, and the needle at it's top slot. Still runs rich. I am at a loss, does anyone have a suggestion of what to do next? The bike starts to stumble whenever i start turning the pilot screws out even a turn.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2007 05:55 #177872 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic KZ1100 carb jetting
Find a set of OEM 5CF59 jet needles. I doubt you will make the carburetors right with the aftermarket jet needles installed. Use #40 pilots and #140 mains with the stock jet needles and you should be pretty close. You may have other issues that are causing the "RICH" situation... incomplete combustion isn't necessarily all related to carburetion... go to our website and read the tech articles under "wg's Tech Stuff Index" called COIL REPOWERING AND VALVE CLEARANCES. Once you take care of these issues, then do the carb related stuff I suggested.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.