No START!!!!! Gotta be the carbs!!

More
21 Oct 2007 12:40 #177401 by EvanXU1
No START!!!!! Gotta be the carbs!! was created by EvanXU1
Ok, so when I bought the 1982 KZ CSR 750 it wasn't running. I have since had the carbs cleaned and I placed them back on the bike. I try to kick start it and it won't turn over...

The petcock is on PRIME, the choke is pulled out FULLY and nothing! Am I doind something wrong here. With starter fluid the bike will run for a couple seconds then die. So, it seems that getting the fuel to the motor is my problem.

What advice does anyone have of new ways to get this thing running? Again, am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

SERIOUSLY FRUSTRATED KZ Owner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2007 13:07 #177402 by kz650csr81
Replied by kz650csr81 on topic No START!!!!! Gotta be the carbs!!
when you say the carbs were cleaned.... do you know if the jets were also cleaned.. if the jets are plugged inside the carbs then no fuel will get to motor... if your petcock has a prime setting then it is a vacuum petcock.. I remember reading on this forum before that it is not a good idea to run the bike with the petcock in the prime position don't know why .. make sure your vacuum hose is connected from the carb body of the #2 or poss the #3 carb to the petcock turn the petcock to on or res then try again... you might also check to see if the carbs are even getting fuel.. maybe there is a better way but what I did is just loosen the drain plug found by the overflow tube at the bottom of the float bowl to see if gas oozes out...but going back to my original thougt if you spray starter fluid into the carb throats and it runs it sounds like you have clogged jets

More
21 Oct 2007 20:14 #177473 by EvanXU1
Replied by EvanXU1 on topic No START!!!!! Gotta be the carbs!!
The jets are in the bottom assembly, right? If I take the bottom bowls off, I should have access to get to the jets?

I have a manual for the KZ Twin that I can follow, but have no experience pulling apart carbs....

More
22 Oct 2007 06:49 #177533 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic No START!!!!! Gotta be the carbs!!
The carburetors need to be cleaned properly. The problem most likely is in the choke and pilot circuits. You should go back to whoever cleaned the carburetors for assistance. There is also the possibility that you are getting no gas to the carburetors... same symptoms as no gas through the pilot and/or choke circuits.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/10/22 09:50

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
22 Oct 2007 18:55 #177689 by jaguar
Replied by jaguar on topic No START!!!!! Gotta be the carbs!!
Dude, never say Gotta, it dont gotta nothin! Just aquired a 82 750gpz that wasnt running and it turned out to be the middle plug under the right side cover plate. Its the one that connects the crank coil pickups to the ic ignighter. Unplug it and plug it in 2 times and see if it wont start. Dont forget to do the usual stuff like making sure the wires from the coils are in the correct order. Also, every orfice in the carb and carb bowls have to be open. Remember, it is an enternal combustion motor and takes 3 things to run. Compression, fuel and a spark(at the right time!). If one is missing, dont go any further till its there. I'll check back tomorrow to see your results. Remember its a machine, it dont give shit if it runs or not so dont get frustrated cause that makes it harder to think logicly.