On the Road Again

More
15 Oct 2007 19:20 #176335 by 1979LTD
On the Road Again was created by 1979LTD
Hey guys. Love this site!

After a 23 year hiatus from bikes I recently purchased a 1979 KZ 1000 LTD. The bike only had 16,500 miles on it. It was running pretty crappy and sucking gas like crazy so I yanked the carbs and cleaned them up. They weren't real bad but I went thru them pretty good. The diapraghms in the accelerator pump were shot so I replaced them and also installed an inline fuel filter. She is running great now except on deceleration. Between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes 3rd and 4th it pops out of the pipes on the left side. (unfired gas getting into the pipes?) The #2 spark plug was a little wet with gas when I pulled it. Is the float level in the #2 carb set too high? Also how do you know when the accelerator pump is adjusted correctly? Is it just a matter of a visual check by opening up the throttle and seeing when the arm on the pump engages? The tires look to be the original Dunlops that came on the bike. They're pretty thin. I can't find any comparable Dunlops to put on it. Are the Bridgestone Spitfires any good? Sorry for so many questions.I would appreciate any input on any of the subjects. I will post pics of the bike when I figure out how to use photobucket. Thanks 1979LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2007 19:37 #176343 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic On the Road Again
Try a compression check. If it were my bike i would run run a tank on two of gas treated with Ring Free. That is a Yamaha product that will get rid of carbon build up in the engine.
Do a search on COIL MOD. I think there is a article on the subject.
Wired George has a link on the right side of the page go to his site and get on the discussion forum. He's the man for carb issues. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.